Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rogue Applesauce

While I was reading at lunch today, my spoonful of applesauce decided to adhere to the law of gravity, and my trousers. Whoops! Direct hit. A good book is good escapism, but can be hard on clothing.

[I'm reading a knitting novel called Chicks with Sticks (It's a purl thing), and enjoying it, obviously. I tried Thirteen Reasons Why, which someone recommended, and got halfway through before I couldn't take any more. Sometimes I can handle a really sad topic and sometimes I can't; right now, I'm in a Can't period. It's a good book, but I wasn't enjoying it, so I stopped.]

Posting after tonight will be erratic, since my mother arrives tomorrow and I may have (gasp!) better things to do. No! Did I say that? Other things to do.

Maybe better.

So, some random photos, because why not? Miri being enticing:


Deceptively welcoming, isn't she?

A pretty flower in a friend's garden.

Here's a house I liked:

And a sunflower playing peekaboo:

One picture I'm not posting, because it's totally blurry, is of a bumper sticker I saw tonight. It said, "I'm a fermata: hold me." Can anyone explain to me what it really means, or is it simply a musician thing? (I only recognized it from the Nicholson Baker title, though I never actually read the book.)(Working in a bookstore makes one familiar with more books than one could read in a lifetime.)

After all, non-knitter might find a bumper sticker like this puzzling:


It's a knitting thing. Obviously.

3 comments:

  1. It is a musician thing, but I'll give my best shot at explaining it.

    If a note of music has a fermata over it (the little sideways parens with the dot in it), that means that the singer/instrumentalist, instead of playing the note for the length of time as written on the page, is supposed to hold that note (keep singing/playing it) until the conductor gives him/her a visual cut-off.

    I probably butchered that explanation. I hope it made some sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Miri. Your fluffy belly is so tempting. But something tells me I'd lose a hand if I gave it a pet.

    We in the choir run into our friend the fermata many times in certain hymns. That's a cute bumper sticker.

    Some people say the body remembers traumas before the mind does, so that could be a perfectly O.K. reason for feeling a little lousy. And not in the mood for a certain book that I might have recommended. Well, here's to your dad on his birthday. (I'm raising my popsicle and I hope he would find that funny. Or maybe he would tell you to stay away from weirdos?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who could resist that belly? One of mine does that and it's all a trick to get you to put your hand on her so she can go Jaws on you.

    ReplyDelete