Thursday, August 12, 2010

Thursday night means tomorrow is Friday. The Thirteenth.

Pictures I didn't take today:
  • the man in livery waiting in front of a hotel, holding a sign that read "Chix-fil-a". Someone is taking a chauffeured vehicle to Chick-fil-a?
  • the t-shirt that said "Actually, I prefer anti-social networking."
  • the woman in a super-thin, super-tight white t-shirt that showed every detail of her bra down to the tag and every bulge she had. Call the fashion police, I have a violator!
  • two men at a bus stop with their cellos
***********
Not a rule that proofreaders should abide by:
"That just looks frickin' weird."
(But if it looks that weird, it probably is wrong.)

***********
The hour before lunch is often the hardest of the day for me. Proofreading a catalog of children's books when I'm hungry, where half the titles seem to feature food*, is hard on an empty stomach. And they're all so relentlessly cheerful, which gets on my nerves more and more as the clock ticks along.

*the other half feature spiders and snakes, ew

**********
When I started this job, I complained of the annoying process for signing up with the agency. Once that was resolved, I have little to do with them, but every week I have to log in to their site to enter my hours. Every week, I grumble about it, because the user interface is so annoying!

Here's why: When you click on the log in section of the main web page, it opens a new tab which is dedicated to logging in. There's nothing else on the page but the areas where you enter your e-mail address and password. But of course, when the page opens, it isn't ready for you to start typing, oh no.

You have to click the mouse in the box first. And after you type your password, you can't just hit "enter" on the keyboard, oh no. You have to click the "submit box" instead. (I'm a keyboard girl, can you tell? They know what I'm on this page for, don't make it harder unnecessarily.) It's such a small thing, but it annoys me Every Single Week.

And last week, when I logged in, instead of taking me to the usual page, it brought up a screen that said:
If you would like to change your password, please provide your current password.
No, I said, I don't want to change my password. Did I hit the wrong button? I went back and logged in again (because there was no way to go forward on that page otherwise)(and of course it doesn't autofill the e-mail, I have to type it all again) and it took me to the same damn page. Apparently it wanted me to change my password, and like someone speaking in a second language, it got it backwards.

Idiots. They need new IT people. The kind with logic circuits.

1 comment:

  1. I.T. people should be required to take a communication/writing course. I say this as someone who as part of the MLIS program had to take a course with IS overlap and was required to read every classmate's poorly written assignments on a weekly basis. UGH.

    I love you, computer nerds, but please write in English.

    ReplyDelete