Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Ta-da! Secret Knitting Revealed

Look what I made!

Not a pig in a poke...

I don't exactly like keeping knitting projects secret from the blog, because I enjoy talking about what I'm working on and how it's going, but sometimes it's necessary, and I do like the reveal!

In this case, I was knitting a little something for a virtual baby shower for Jess, of Du Wax Loolu, whose blog I've been reading for a long time now. When I heard about the baby shower, I wanted to do something, and as there wasn't a lot of time, it would have to be pretty small. Here's what I made:


Jess and Torsten are referring to the baby as Piglet, since they bought a cute print of a pig for the nursery, so of course I went to Ravelry to see what was out there in a piggy way. I really liked this pattern, especially the tail:


I did modify the pattern a little. The first was unintentional, since I didn't read the pattern thoroughly enough ahead of time. One was supposed to repeat rows 5 and 6 for rows 7 to 12 (so three times), and I only did it once. I didn't realize I'd done it until I was at the top, and looked closely at what I'd done at the bottom. I decided that I didn't mind the way it looked, certainly not enough to frog the whole thing and start over, so I did the same thing at the top, and moved on.

Then, because I wanted to make a little pillow, I decided to keep going rather than bind off and make the back separately. I did a purl row to mark the turn, then knit all the way down. Add the tail (the best part of the pattern, in my opinion), and an eye (the pattern called for a bead, but since this may be near a baby, I went with yarn instead), sew it and stuff it and done!

**********
Here's a treasure from the Sheldon archives, one which drew from me a strong Amen!


What, you can't read it? It lives here, and sums up my feelings about cities. And it ran on my last birthday! Ooh, spooky.

**********
Hypothetical question: if you have startled a cat into a loss of dignity, is it better to apologize while laughing, or to move away and pretend it never happened?

5 comments:

  1. Never apologize to a cat. They wouldn't believe you meant it, anyway.

    Your piglet pillow is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that pillow! The tail is adorabel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just ignore it and pretend you didn't notice. The cat will feel much better that way. If asked, tell him/her you were remembering a joke you heard at work.

    ♥ the pillow - that's so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute piggy!

    I usually say, "Excuuuuuse me!" to the cat and carry on, snickering to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this pillow, and the tail is my favorite part too. Thanks so much! (Working on writing up proper thank-yous too, now that I'm home again.)

    ReplyDelete