Thursday, April 08, 2010

Briefly, with cows


I was going to put up some pictures tonight, but hey, I'm tired and slightly headachy and it's getting late and why not wait until this weekend to show you last weekend, right?

Before I go, I will give you a quote that I found interesting, though. I just read The Butcher and the Vegetarian, which was a thoughtful and enjoyable book (though really, the cover implies romance which is [spoiler alert!] not to be found), and I came across a section where the author is visiting a ranch and sees cows in a lot that's mostly dirt. She asks if they are ever let out to a nearby grassy area, and is told:
"Cows like their routine. ... Sometimes we take them out for testing, but it's a few days before they settle back down again. They don't like to be disturbed."
I read on, and only later did it strike me: I'm like that, too. A break in routine, even for something I really want to do and enjoy doing, throws me off stride. Getting back into the habit of everyday life takes me a few days.

Yes, I am comparing myself to cows. I realize that. Take it as you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment