Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Time for Pajama and Movie Therapy

Today I got my feelings hurt retroactively, which sounds silly even to me, and yet. And yet.

One of the things from this weekend that made it a less than stellar weekend was going to the wake for my boss's mother, who died last week. Never a fun time, but you have to go, right? My boss was back at work today, and telling us how touched she was by all the people from work who came to the wake or funeral, who sent cards and flowers and Edible Arrangements and so on, and, you know, anything that gives her comfort is nice. I don't like her, but I'm not a monster, I'm happy for her. The two others in my department and I, and our boss's boss, went in on some gifties from Bath and Body Works and other stuff and another card, and I was sincerely happy to do so.

And yet. When my dad died in April, I got nothing from anyone at work. No card, nothing. At the time, I didn't particularly care, but now, retroactively, it hurts my feelings that so much was done for her, and nothing for me.

It's so silly! Of all things to get under my skin. But there it is. Between that, and not being able to fill my face with chocolate*, it wasn't my happiest day.
*Chocolate taunted me today. I really wanted some chocolate this afternoon. I tried to reason myself out of it: "You're not hungry. You just want it because it tastes good. You shouldn't eat if you're not really hungry."

"You're damn right it tastes good," I answered back. "What better reason to eat something than that it tastes good? That's chocolate's purpose in life, tasting good."
Retail therapy to the rescue. I took my Christmas gift cards to B&N, and found a buy-two-get-one-free promo in the movies. I bought:


and:


and got this for free (I had it on video, but this is much easier and takes up far less space!):


So I'm going to watch Up now. And, hopefully, cheer Up.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry your co-workers did nothing when you father died. That really was not thoughtful in the least. But you know you're better than that; you contributed to a gift and went to the wake to offer support to someone you don't really like that much. They're quite lucky and don't deserve you.

    Yes, chocolate is the best and being circumferentially challenged (Daniel Pinkwater anyone?)I try to avoid it, however, have you looked at the sugarless treats available? Werther's is not chocolate but their sugarfree offering is just.plain.excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that stinks that your coworkers did nothing. Stinks. I had no idea.
    Let me just say that while their omission is inexcusable, I think sometimes people don't know how to react when there isn't a ceremony of some sort - a wake, funeral, shiva, etc. and so perhaps some folks who would have been inclined to send a card or plant or whatever did not know how to acknowledge your loss. Anyway, what jerks!
    In any case, love the movies you got and hope to watch them with you (and maybe even sneak some chocolate) soon.
    Much love jdj

    ReplyDelete