Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Last Weekend At Last; and a knitting treat at the end

If I don't write about last weekend tonight, it will be next weekend before I do! I have a mammogram tomorrow night (ugh), so I don't know how wordy I'll be feeling, and Friday night I'm taking the car in to the shop (more on that in a minute), and so it goes.

Friday night I went with friends to see Avatar, and in 3D. So what did I think?

It's a good movie, which does happen to bear a remarkable similarity to the plot of certain other movies*. It's a long movie, damn, almost 3 hours. And I don't think I really like 3D all that much.

*I read the comparison that's floating around online between Avatar and Pocahontas before I saw Avatar, which may have colored my impressions, but yeah, I can sure see it. I never saw Dances With Wolves, so I can't speak to that one.

It was overwhelming. My eyes were tired by the end. When little bits of whatever floated in the foreground, I wanted to bat them away. Yeah, I get it, yeah, it's supposed to be that way, but I didn't really like it. Also, I'm not trying to run down the quality of the theater where we saw it, but the previews I've seen make the colors seem even more vivid than I found them. Is that the fault of the 3D? Who knows? The review in the Globe noted that at the first screening, the 3D had such problems, they rescheduled. It puts the idea in one's head.

It was good. Long. Tiring, which may have had more to do with a busy week and very busy day, who knows. I can't help wondering how I would have felt about it in the non-3D version, but one can't see it again for the first time.

Then, leaving the theater complex, I hit a curb, hard. Snow, road narrowing, and a flash from bright headlights behind me at just the wrong moment. The car seems to be okay, though I'm taking it in to check the alignment just in case, but on top of my already tired/overwhelmed condition, it was kind of the last straw. I pulled into a CVS parking lot to look at the tire, then hyperventilate for a few minutes and check it again before driving home. It looked fine, well maybe a little banged up but not flattening is the point, and the car isn't pulling one way or the other, but it was scary and unnerving and now every bump in the road has me doubting myself and the car. Not fun.

The rest of the weekend was hormones and cramps and headache on and off, only getting truly bad Sunday night, but not really fun and energetic and getting things done. I've had better. The Bruins lost Saturday, not fun either. They sure are not last year's team. That was so much fun to watch. This year, the only consistency is their inconsistency. They play tonight and tomorrow, but in California, meaning I'll be asleep before the opening faceoff.

I hate to end such a down post on a down note! Let me show you something I saw at the Everson Museum in Syracuse.


Look at this guy!


How cute is he? And how handy would it be to have all sizes of needles with you when you needed them? No wonder he's smiling.


He's knitting his own outfit!


I could hardly tear myself away.

2 comments:

  1. Um, I think that is scarier than it is cute...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary or not I want one.
    How is your car? We just had our brakes redone and when I found out how bad they were, it scared me. That of course was hindsight, not knowing at the time. Hope you are having a splendid weekend.

    ReplyDelete