Monday, January 25, 2010

Some Good Things for a Monday

First
It was in the mid-50s today*, meaning that the precipitation the day brought does not need to be shoveled, yay! And for that I say, you're welcome. I take credit because last Friday, I bought a new snow brush for the car. The old one is cracked and only mostly working, so I thought I'd better replace it now. And look what followed!

*It's actually really pathetic how "nice" it seemed in comparison to recent weather.

(We shall not speak of the inevitable re-brrr-ing later this week. Sufficient unto the day is the ick thereof.)

Next
Since the signs were propitious in this weekend's cat experiment, I went ahead and left them co-mingled today, instead of shutting Carlos in the office. I was nervous about what I'd come home to, but they're fine tonight. I hope that at some point Carlos left the window perch where he was when I left and when I got home, but he seems fine.


(He must have, actually, his food was gone. So good.)

Then
This weekend, I got the bill from Comcast showing how my rates would rise with the end of the latest promotional period. By more than 25%. From a price I was already uncomfortable with.

In Sunday's paper was an ad for Verizon Fios, for TV-computer-phone (what I have through Comcast), and even with all the fees and things on top, it works out to 30% less than my current rate with Comcast (45% less than the proposed raised rate), for essentially the same service.

They're coming Friday to set up. (Yes, I have to take another day off from work. What a shame.)

I haven't called Comcast to break up with them yet. I'm thinking I'll wait until the Verizon is all set up, then call Comcast and tell them, it's done, I'm done, come get your stuff. (Their product is good, actually, but most of the customer service I've had has been less than stellar. They're really expensive. And I find their website so bad as to be actually unusable.)

Finally
A teaser: you'll hear much more on this later. See what I got in the mail?



Crazy Aunt Purl's new book! For free! (Full disclosure, I got a free copy for reviewing it, as I shall in a few weeks.) It's my first blog freebie, I'm so excited! As you can tell! by! all! the! exclamations!

I mean, she's one of the writers who inspired me to start my own blog. How cool is this?

2 comments:

  1. Lucky you to get a free book :)
    Congrats on Carlos and thanks for the warm weather today! I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I broke up with Commiecast a couple years ago. I think you made a good choice.

    I am very curious about that new book!

    ReplyDelete