Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A story through three books

I should be packing, but there's a quick story I wanted to share with you first. I like how one thing led to another.

It started when I was re-reading The Bird in the Tree, a lovely old English novel by Elizabeth Goudge. For some reason, on this reading, when I got to a certain passage:


I suddenly wondered exactly what a "curate's egg" might be. I started to go ask Google, but as I passed through the living room, I decided to consult the OED first.


"Parts of it were excellent"? But ... I've read that before! Peter Wimsey (he who loves quotations) says that in Busman's Honeymoon, when asked how his wedding night was.


I didn't know that was a quote. How funny to have an answer to something I wasn't even questioning. Learn something new every day.

Harold enjoys an almost-invisible nap.


Off to pack now. As usual, I doubt I will post from Florida. Most likely I'll "see" you in a week!

3 comments:

  1. Hi there CCR - I love that Peter Wimsey.

    Have a great time in Fla and send my love to your parents, jdj

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful indulgence to follow a word/phrase through several iterations. One ends up so pleased at discovery or re-discovery of things. Dorothy Sayers frequently had me doing things like that in her novels.

    Enjoy your time in Florida. Maybe by the time you get back I'll be writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this post. All those quotes! They're so sweet.

    ReplyDelete