Thursday, August 14, 2008

Spam can be fun

I get what you might call a reasonable amount of spam on my e-mail account: not none, but not crippling amounts. And Gmail's spam filter does a great job. I almost never get a spam message in my inbox. I do sometimes get real messages put into the spam folder, but even that doesn't happen often. (For some reason, the "promotional" messages from my credit card provider go there almost every time.)

I usually delete spam messages as soon as I see that they're there, because I'm just that way. Lately, though, I've been seeing a different sort of spam, so I stopped deleting to watch what comes in over a day or two.

Specifically, these are masquerading as CNN alerts, and more recently MSNBC Breaking News. It's amusing me no end, some of the subject lines they're using to entice me into opening the mail. Like, "McCain told lies to get votes." No! A politician lied? I can't believe that.

Here are a few good ones:


I know, small type. Can you read that last one?
Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse Split; 'Pestilence to go Solo'
It's almost tempting! I mean, someone has a wicked sense of humor, and I'm such a sucker for a sense of humor. Although in the spam world, you'd think that would be a liability.

Since Monday night, I've received 23 spam messages. Four are the usual nonsense; seven purport to be CNN Alerts (with non-specific subject lines); and no less than 12 "from" MSNBC. I like "Poll: Congress's Opinion of Constituents at All-Time Low", too.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get some more of these out of the oven:


And spend some time with this guy:


He thanks you for the good wishes, as do I.

1 comment: