Thursday, December 20, 2007

"If it's Thursday, it must be snowing"

Thanks to Jack Edwards, the Bruins' TV play-by-play man, for that headline. Last Thursday, of course, there was so much snow that the Bruins, trying to fill seats, discounted the best seats (usually $80-ish to over $100) to under $20. If I hadn't had the three-hour commute that night, I might have gone, but there was no way I was leaving the house again.

It snowed Thursday, it snowed Sunday, it snowed today.

It only took me an hour and a quarter to get home tonight. Sad that that's not bad.

No, I don't think it's pretty. It's messing up the roads and I have to clean off my car again. There's nothing pretty about that.

No, I don't find it very funny to think that it isn't "really" winter until Saturday. We have more snow on the ground than we got all last year. This is winter.

And the next time they predict 1-3 inches, I will have the chance to practice my hollow laugh. That's what they were saying we'd get in my area today, and we got at least 6. Charming. Why do I even bother listening to them?

The side roads still weren't great yesterday, before this storm came along. Now we're back to slush one, I mean square one.

And the person who plows our driveway has buried most of the building's trash cans in a snowdrift that is almost as tall as I am. That thing won't be gone until spring thaw. It should make our trash situation very interesting, which is not something I want to be saying.

Meanwhile, my last Christmas present came in the mail today, so I have just a bit more wrapping to do. Dinner first, though: one of my neighbors is cooking something that smells delicious, and suddenly I'm so hungry!

4 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! I'm sick to death of having to shovel before leaving for work in the morning. In fact, I have to go do it now.

    Down with Snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my lord, I am so spoiled. I get mad when I have to scrape ice off the windshield before driving, which I have not yet had to do this year. Truly, it's a different world here. Nothing more than a dusting of snow that was charming to drive through.

    I'd help you shovel you walk if I could, and nod in sympathetic disgust at learning some dumbass put your trash cans into a wall of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a Bruins game goes by that I don't groan and roll my eyes at some half-witted remark from Edwards. I enjoy it immensely when he says something like "That's icing," and Andy has to say "no, it isn't." Oh, how I long for the days of Fred Cusick or even Dale Arnold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually don't mind Jack Edwards that much, but I certainly agree that he doesn't know as much about hockey as you'd like. I've noticed that quite frequently when the whistle blows, he'll say something generic like, "There's going to be a penalty," and then Brickley will fill in who it's on, and for what. He *always* knows.

    ReplyDelete