Monday, December 17, 2007

I Won't Even Wish for Snow*


According to Barry Burbank with WBZ,
Boston's snowfall in the recent two storms totalled 18.1" with this month's total at 19.6" which is 2.5" more than the city received all of last season! Based upon records dating back more than 130 years, this is the 8th snowiest December behind the 22.5" in 2003.
And of course, that's the 8th snowiest December as of today, December 17th. I wonder where we'll be by the 31st. Keep in mind, too, that that's for the City of Boston. We frequently get more out here in the suburbs, away from the coast.

Can you believe it?

And guess what it's going to do Wednesday night? Go on, three guesses. You'll never guess...

Can we talk about something else? I have a question for any other Ravel-ers out there, a question of Ravelry etiquette. Have you ever had someone you don't know add you as a friend? (You can tell I've never done anything remotely like a social networking site before.) So far, the people who have added me as friends are people I know, either in real-life (whatever that really means these days) or through reciprocal blog-reading. Even someone I met once, we exchanged Ravelry IDs so we could look at each other's stashes and projects and so on, and she added me as a friend, and I was fine with that.

But someone I never met, never heard of? I looked at her profile, and although she does live in Massachusetts, I'm still pretty sure I don't know who she is. Why would she want to add me? Anyone? Ideas?

*I was listening to Christmas music on the way home, and Mariah Carey singing "All I Want for Christmas" came on, and when she sang that line, I muttered, "no kidding!" It seemed like a good title for this whining-about-the-weather post.

2 comments:

  1. Our driveway is a horror. Where are those people who are showing up here expecting food and joy next week going to park??

    Yes, I've had people I don't know add me. Generally they're in a group I'm in or in a similar geographic area. Maybe they saw something in your projects they like, or similar interests, and it's easiest to keep track of someone's projects if they're in your friends. When I friend someone I don't "know" well otherwise, though, I do try to send a pm explaining. I feel less stalkerish that way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what Amy said. I've had several people friend me whom I don't know from Adam's off ox, and it's apparently just 'cause something caught their attention. (Or maybe lurkers on my blog? Heh; wishful thinking...) I friended Stephanie, for instance, because I wanted to see all her projects in one spot, as well as being a fan. Sometimes you get friended back - in which case I send a thank-you message - and sometimes you don't, which is just fine too. When strangers friend me, I send them a little thank-you too, and so far friend them back, although that's not really necessary. But it sure increases the interesting things I see come through on my "friends' activity" pages. I've found some great projects that way!

    I'd just enjoy it; someone saw something they liked, or read a forum post you made ditto... and friending you is a lot easier than trying to remember your name so they can check out what's been going on umpteen months down the road.

    (PS - loved your ornament post, that was great! Thanks for all the pretty pictures. Wonderful tree!)

    ReplyDelete