Tuesday, August 21, 2007

This Is Nantucket, For Real Now

Because 1, Nantucket is very photogenic; 2, people with addictive personalities and digital cameras with nice large-capacity cards don't mix; and 3, it's rather late and I'm just getting in and getting uploading after spending the evening playing with almost two-week-old babies*, I'm going to do the Nantucket overview (with lots of photos!), but leave the gardens, the cats, and the yarn (you knew there was yarn, right? [only photographed, I promise]) for other days. And away we go!

*If I can convince my friends that I enjoy holding the babies, and am not just doing it to do them a favor, the amount of time I spend doing other things, like blogging, may decrease. For some reason, they don't quite seem to believe me. I'll have to work on convincing them.

Isn't Nantucket ridiculously New Englandy?


Just too much for words.


Cobblestone streets and everything.


I love this car, but is the license plate meant to be a lecture?


It seems a little rude.


This is nice, though.


You've got to love the dock. Some of the boats were killer, gleaming wood and all. Staff of thousands, no doubt. Of course I could live like that, if I chose (cough, cough).


Since I took the ferry in Friday night and left late Sunday, I'm glad to have gone to the dock area Saturday to see what it looked like in the daylight. You wouldn't want to miss this, you know?


And although it wasn't so much beach weather, at least not lay-out on the beach weather (chilly breezes), we did see beaches, and they were gorgeous.


I also loved the look of this little lane, in Sconset.


Some of these settings could be a million other places, couldn't they? So lovely.




And as the sun sinks slowly, etcetera, we ponder that quintessential t-shirt wisdom ...


At least, it's on the t-shirt my cousin gave me, "now that you know the way"...

6 comments:

  1. Widow's walks! I have finally seen widow's walks on real houses! At least I'm presuming that's what those little railed platforms on the roofs are... Right? (Yes, I'm ridiculously excited by this. You know how it is, seeing something you've only ever read about. [g])

    Gorgeous, gorgeous bunch of photos. ROFL'd over the license plate; especially with the accompanying, er, not-the-real-state-motto. ;) The cobblestones are cool. Laid out much more randomly than those on a few of our streets in the old section of downtown Portland. (Old ballast stones from ships. Portland's about 100 miles from the sea, but we're still a seaport.) The shot of the dock and boats is lovely, I adore that little lane, and, and, and--

    Well. Lovely trip pictures, as usual. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what's with people with babies? They never want to share ;-) No matter how hard I try I can't convince my best friend that -yes- I enjoy watching the baby and -no- for the thousandth time I don't mind watching him for one tiny hour... Parents of the world, accept our help!

    Your trip pics look great--I really like the t-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I've only been to Nantucket once, over 10 years ago, the kind of trip where you sleep on other people's floors because you have no money, and then you're absolutely shocked that a mixed drink costs $12 and who ordered it for you anyway, expecting you to pay for it? That kind of trip. Where you barely eat (see: no money) but do manage to rent a bike and bike around the island, and it's a wonderful memory.

    I'd love to get back. Thanks for the photos. They're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's just beautiful!

    Someday, I'm going to tour New England for, oh I don't know, three months? Stay in various towns for a couple weeks each, wandering around on foot and getting to know them.

    Of course, this will be after I'm independently wealthy . . . hmmmm . . . maybe spending too many hours in front of Jane Austen movies isn't good for my work ethic. ;o)

    Thanks so much for the pretty photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup. That's Nantucket all right. It has been almost eight years but the imagery is still as vivid as your photos.

    That t-shirt has serious possibilities for me... :-)

    Wait'll the kids are a little older, and parents won't look gift horses (aka baby-holders) in the mouth. Or wherever. If you are lucky, when you walk in the door, they just go "here!" and plop a wiggly body in your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the photos. I know we took a family vacation to Nantucket one summer, but I don't really remember it.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete