Monday, August 13, 2007

A little gardening for your Monday

I've had about 8 cukes so far altogether from the 2 and a half plants left by the critter, and from a recent pause in the growing I kind of thought the plants might be done, but it looks like I might get more cucumber after all, since this guy is now growing:


The others are staying tiny for now anyway. I will continue to watch and hope.

Other people in our community plot are complaining of the marauding varmint now, so I don't know why it has stopped eating my cucumber plants, not that I'm complaining. I'm sorry to say that I'm not overflowing with sympathy for them either. I'm sympathizing, sure, just not overflowing. Where were their outpourings of tender sympathy when my plants were the ones being eaten? Yeah, okay, whatever.

Not that everybody's everything is being eaten. Someone has one bowling ball of an eggplant developing here:


And check out this, I think it's a sunflower plant maybe? It's tall, anyway.


And that's some melon coming along there, dude!


It's a good thing I took pictures this morning. When we walked this afternoon, the big storm was coming in, and half-way through it broke over our heads (or umbrellas), rain and wind and thunder and lightning. Not photography weather in my book. By the time I left for the day, it had blown on past. The weather around here is just weird. Is it like that everywhere, so changeable?

3 comments:

  1. Yep. Weather's changeable. ;o) I've actually noticed that it's more changeable in the mountains than the lowlands. Growing up in California, just inland of the SF Bay, things were fairly slow-moving. However, living after that in northern Utah, and now the mountains of Northern Idaho, mountain weather is very volatile. We had a microburst go through about a month ago . . . what a show that was! The summer storms are my favorite . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to what Annalea said, about weather and DEFINITELY about mountains. Mountain weather in spring is NUTS, almost comical. Sun one minute, then rain. Then both at the same time. Then some hail. It's a minute-to-minute thing in springtime, sometimes. I guess weather is so hard to predict because it is so complex and reactive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Mark Twain said, "Welcome to New England. If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes."

    (probably apocryphal, but true just the same)

    ReplyDelete