Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Apparently

Apparently:
  • I am unable to stop believing the weather forecast, even though I say that I know how often they're wrong. I continue to look at the actual weather and say, "but it's supposed to be..." as if the one thing has anything to do with the other.
  • I am also unable to stop listening to or reading the weather forecasts in the first place.
  • I have my limits to how much I want a story to mess around with me. I just listened to a good book on audio, The Vanished Man by Jeffrey Deaver, and I enjoyed it, but really it had that one twist too many, and it left me feeling manipulated. It's a mystery that had to do with magic and illusion and misdirection, and it absolutely worked, but it still left a bitter taste in my mouth. I don't think I'll read Deaver again, and it's kind of a shame because it was good, but ... just went too far for me.
  • Even though the baby shower for which I need to finish the second sweater is later than another project deadline I have, I am not rational enough to stop knitting the sweater and work on the other project first, especially now that the end (of the sweater, that is) is in sight. I want to finish the sweater. I want to. It looks like this:
Only I've finished the neckband (in blue) and started one of the sleeves. I'd get up and take another picture, but Harold is on my lap, and discouraging such nonsense. He says this is close enough, and that you know what it looks like from the other one:
He's got a point, really, even if he is prejudiced because he doesn't want to get up. (Of course, he's already de-lapped himself once, but that's different: it was his idea.)

3 comments:

  1. Ah yes, many a knitting picture has been thwarted around here due to the condition of COL (cat on lap). And I loved your comment about the weather. I do the same thing "But it wasn't SUPPOSED to rain" and I can't imagine why I'd be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the same book and had the same reaction. I was really irritated by it.

    My cat will get on my lap when I'm attempting to do ANYTHING and isn't content to just, you know, be on my lap. No. She insists in crawling up my chestal area and nuzzling me. There's no denying her.

    Good thing she's cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh, the weather. I've caught myself saying the same "but it's supposed to be . . . " as if the weatherman is the one in charge, and the weather is disobedient. ;o)

    ReplyDelete