Sunday, September 20, 2026

Hey, You, Have an Opinion on Water Bottles?

Every time I glance out my office window, and see what the elevator workers left behind, I feel either very sad, or incredibly angry.
Which accomplishes nothing. My feelings about this limbo situation change nothing.

I spent some time this weekend trying not to think about it. At first I thought I would work on my packing list for my trip next month, but I was hit with a wave of despair at the idea of packing and carrying everything downstairs, again, which made it an unsuccessful diversion. So I did what knitters do, and turned to knitting.

I'm currently working on a big project, Noncho by Casapinka, and it's going well. Here it is, two weeks ago:

But it has several hundred stitches per round (shown here with markers for counting to check my stitch count):


And right now, I wanted something smaller and quicker, so I pulled out this yarn:
And started a hat.
I know, that doesn't really look like a hat. This pattern starts with a sort of headband, which gets folded over to cover the ears double thick, and then you pick up stitches for the top. 
So far, so good!

Now, on to the question I put in the title of this post. I want to get a new insulated water bottle that is between the sizes of the two I have. 

The Bruins one is a Tervis stainless that holds 24 ounces, and it is super-well insulated. I drink from it at home, not bothering with the top, and what is left in the bottle at night is cool or even cold the next morning, depending on the ice-to-water ratio.

The smaller one is an Igloo, and holds 12 ounces. It is decently insulated, but if the top is not on, the water will not be cold overnight. 

So, what I want:

  • somewhere in the range of 16-20 ounces
  • completely leakproof
  • ideally has a wide mouth for putting in ice cubes
  • really keeps water cold
  • easy to clean is also a plus
I don't object to some of the ones I've seen marketed for kids: I don't need a Serious Grown-Up Style bottle, I just want one that works, in that general size area.

There are SO many brands out there, ones I've heard of and ones I haven't, so I thought I would ask the crowd: any thoughts? Definitely do or definitely don't? 

11 comments:

  1. I have strong opinions on the subject. Zojirushi, and their nearest competitor in Japan when I can find it, Tiger, are the only ones I buy. I discovered them when my daughter bought the first Tiger in Tokyo (during an earthquake that hit while she was checking out, no less, with the power going out and the clerk completing the transaction by hand.) Both brands hold the temp longer than anything I've ever seen, they never ever leak, they're sturdy, and they look good. I like the lid on the Zojirushi a bit better.

    And I'm still annoyed at myself for losing a favorite blue one at an airport because I forgot to empty it before the TSA line. I immediately ordered a new one when I got home.

    Since medically I have to drink 8 oz every two hours, I have a variety of sizes to match how long I expect to be away from home on any given jaunt. They get thrown in the purse and they get used a lot. Only the original Tiger had some shine scratch off its top and it's way old. (Another reason though that I prefer the Zojirushi.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're on the Zojirushi train at our house, too. No straws, wide mouths, metal. We each have one for hot beverages and cold beverages. Our hot ones have seen some things and are pretty scratched, but they are not yet dented. They come in pretty fun colors.

      We handwash our water bottles every night, though. No dishwasher for us.

      Delete
  2. Oh, and, wide mouth, yes, easy to clean, by hand but yes, size, whatever you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looked: Zojirushi's new model SU-BA48 is supposed to be dishwasher safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kid has an Owala that she loves. It's enormous, but I think it comes in a variety of sizes. It is truly leakproof and I put it in the dishwasher and so far there have been no signs of wear.

    I have a slimmer, smaller water bottle by Mira that I like a lot. It keeps water nice and cold, does just fine in the dishwasher, and has held up well for close to a decade.

    I love the color for the hat you're working on! And that noncho looks fabulous. What a cool project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's been good knitting lately, knock on wood.

      Delete
  5. I love my Owala. It’s the best water bottle I’ve ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know nothing about water bottles since I work from home and just use a glass, but wow, this is some good info in the comments and I now kind of want a water bottle with a wider mouth! (I do have a few from promotional work type events, and I don’t like that I can’t fit ice in them)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like cold water, so the ice is a must for me.

      Delete