Thursday, August 03, 2023

Two Ways I Was Unknowingly Prescient

Isn't "prescient" a nice word? If you haven't run across it, it means "having or showing knowledge of events before they take place." 

Here's why it is on my mind:

  • Last week, I ordered some yarn, no reason, just a nice sale. ("Fun" fact: I tried to insert the photo here, and first it put it after the next bullet, then it put it at the end of the text. I had to cut and paste it to get it where the damned cursor was.) It arrived yesterday, two similar but not identical colorways, two different bases, both lovely.
  • Then on Sunday afternoon, I ran into the grocery store for a few things, and I picked up a couple of slices of cheesecake, and a pint of ice cream, as well as a bag of Heath Bar bits to sprinkle on both, none of which are things I regularly buy.

On Sunday night, my mother fell, and she is currently in the hospital waiting for a rehab bed, so she can regain her mobility from the hairline fracture in her hip, which is on top of the compression fractures in her back that were diagnosed last week. (Turns out that no, she didn't have a kidney infection that was causing the terrible pain in her back.) I'm so glad to have these treats in the house during these stressful times!

The fall was unrelated to the back issues, by the way, and wasn't an age-related fall, either. The elevator was acting up on her, and when the door finally opened she went to step out, and didn't notice that it stopped a good six inches below the level. Of course she fell: so would I have, so would anyone. Just awful luck.

At least she's not in pain unless she moves. But she needs to be able to move, i.e. walk, in order to be allowed to come home, so. Rehab it is.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! Your poor mom! That is a lot to deal with right now! My grandmother also had a compression fracture in her back and it was so painful! For her, she got that fracture when she fell on her back. It took quite a long time to heal. Falls are so scary as we get older. I hope rehab doesn't take too long and she's back on her feet/out of pain soon. In the mean time - good call to have some treats around!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so awful for her! She can't move her leg without agony, and yet she has to move it to be able to progress. And then the back on top of it! It's such a lot to deal with.

    ReplyDelete