Monday, August 21, 2023

Two Successful "Just One Thing" Moments

As usual, the weekend went by so quickly and my to-do list is still full of things I meant to/hoped to get to but did not.

However! I wanted to share two small successes that made me feel a little better about it.

I was meeting friends for lunch yesterday, and had calculated when I needed to leave by to get there in time (in my family, "in time" means 5 minutes early, or maybe 10, we try not to be earlier than that but sometimes, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, you know). When it was 5 minutes before that time, I was sitting there telling myself that there was no need to leave so early, and my eye fell on my to-do list and I saw that one item there actually would take 5 minutes or less, if I left the dishes to do later, which I have no problem doing.

So I did it! Got something done and crossed off the list, then left for the lunch and was there at just the right time.

The lunch was fun, with both good food and catching up. Plus I also had this, which was so, so delicious:

(I drove away thinking, why didn't I get another one to go?)

So, the second thing. I was getting ready for bed last night, having told myself that it was really kind of too early to go to bed, since I didn't want to wake up at 4 and not be able to get back to sleep, but I was just so tired*. But after I finished my ablutions (wash face, take out contacts, brush teeth), I impulsively opened the disaster of a drawer at the sink, which was so full of random crap that I can't find anything without five minutes of digging around, and did a really good first sweep of things that could be thrown out. 

*I've never been a high-energy person, but these days, wow. By 6 or 7 PM, I'm asking myself if it's too soon to go to bed. Wiped out. (Which I wrote about before, and to update that, we have a "care meeting" tomorrow, so maybe something will come of that.

You know the kind of sweep I mean: "This expired when? Out. How does that smell? Ooh, out." The drawer isn't perfect now, but it's so much better, and sets me up for the next sweep, when everything is taken out of the drawer and assessed before being ranked worthy to return.

Speaking of to-do lists, by the way, I just bought myself a new pad (I find the long ones work really well for me), and it's just too perfect.

Have you had any small successes recently? Share them! Brag on yourself! No success too small.

9 comments:

  1. Small success: I convinced someone in my volunteer position to give us two months notice for her resignation instead of two weeks. Very small win, but I will take it, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely take it! Every little bit helps.

      Delete
  2. Good for you. I try to have a strategy of "if it only takes two minutes, just do it now." It has really helped my organization and neatness. Now if only everyone in our lives would do the same as we are doing, right? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, two minutes is a good guide! I've been telling myself that putting something away is better than getting it near where it goes but not taking the last few steps. I've gotten lazy that way!

      Delete
  3. Oooh those little jobs are SO satisfying. When I was getting ready to move, I did a clean sweep of my makeup drawer. I had SO MANY little samples that you get free at Sephora, and WHY do I continue to accept samples? I never use them. Never! So I ended up getting rid of all of them and it felt great (now the trick is to not bring any more into the house).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had some samples, too, and it's like, why do I have this? Never using it, and just because it doesn't take up much space doesn't mean I should keep it forever. The things we do.

      Delete
  4. If only it were as easy to tackle my own messes as it is fun to help someone else with theirs. But it is so satisfying when you get a little thing done that had been needing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are also a family for whom on time = early!

    My successes recently all kind of seem big - like leaving my 5yo with my parents for the week! He was expressing some anxiety about being up there on his own. He stayed with my parents for a week last December but his little brother was with him. This time it's just him but my sister and her family arrive tomorrow so there will be lots of excitement. But he really did not care when I left yesterday and seems to be doing great. He even slept in until 7 which NEVER happens at home! Other success was getting through our first drop off at the new daycare for our younger 2.5 year old. There were some tears but we got a picture of him shortly thereafter and he was happily playing with a farm set.

    ReplyDelete