Monday, July 22, 2019

Bunch-of-Stuff

So many things have been happening lately that I haven't yet written about, some small-but-notable, others much bigger. The biggest is that my grandmother had a fall last week (apparently she fell out of bed; I'm not sure how that happened), and someone at the nursing home found her on the floor. She has bumps and bruises, but somehow is otherwise fine and okay? I really can't explain it. On Friday, we were thinking we would be Getting The Call and making plane reservations ASAP, and now here we are. She is one tough woman.

Not as big, and very exciting, is that I have finally gotten myself a smart phone! Only ten or fifteen years after everyone else, right? It's a Samsung Galaxy A6, and since the navigation is similar to my tablet, I'm getting around okay as I get used to it. The texting is far better, and the camera is amazing!

It's much faster, and much better in low light, than the tablet one is.

Speaking of tech, let me update on the laptop battery issue: I decided to give it some time and see what happened, before replacing the battery. I put it back in last Monday, when I think it was running in the mid-90s, and since then it has gradually dropped, so now it says it's at 83%. I think I'll order a new one and see if that one will charge, because if it turns out that isn't the root of the problem, I want to find out before it dies altogether.

Then small stuff:
  • I renewed my passport; the new one came on Friday, and the old one, now cancelled, arrived today. That's an interesting way to do it, eh? Just glad it's here and I'm set for the next ten years. No trips currently planned, but Mom and I would like to go back to PEI one of these years, so I didn't want to let it run out.
  • I finally was able to get my first Shingrix shot! I've only been trying to find it in stock for literally months (if you aren't keeping up with such things, this vaccine is much more successful than the previous vaccine was, and the manufacturer has struggled to keep up with demand). I am reliably informed that shingles is a miserable disease that I do not want to get, so I was motivated to keep searching.
    • There was a snafu with one pharmacy not able to make my insurance cover the cost, but after I had called and was assured that it really was covered, another pharmacy (that also had it in stock at last) got it to go through. I'm really glad I didn't just pay it out of pocket; $181 will buy a lot of yarn!
    • Hopefully, the shots will be available in a few months, when I need the second one, but sufficient unto the day, etc.
  • Maggie had her vet appointment on Saturday, just routine, check-up and shots. The girl Does Not Like the car. It was not fun for either of us, but it went well, no problems detected, and I had a drink as soon as we got home.
  • I'm trying multifocal contact lenses, so I can stop with constantly needing reading glasses, and it's going both badly and well. Actually reading with them in is easier! However, they are uncomfortable, and apparently these are the only ones that come in my strength (have I mentioned I have bad eyes?). The optician suggests I try wearing them for a few days, at least part of the day, to see if I get used to them (they're made of a different material than the ones I've worn for years). Hopefully it will get better. I wish I could get them in the material as the ones I'm used to.
That's the state of things around here, and it's enough, eh? What's up with you?

2 comments:

  1. Scary stuff with your grandmother. Isn't she in her 90's? That's really amazing she's ok. So glad.

    I had a *very* mild case of shingles years ago and it was most unpleasant. I, too, got the shingles vaccination. Not sure if it's the same as yours. We were told to call in for the second shot and let them know it's the second shot, as we will get priority since it is time sensitive. Good luck for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your grandma. You are right - one tough cookie! How did she not break a hip? Or an arm? I hope she heals quickly.

    I hate wearing reading glasses. The minute I take them off I feel like I need them on again. At my computer I just squint. Nothing helps. I have heard of people doing various contact lenses - or one at a time. No way I could do that. I don't think my eyes are 'terrible'. My prescription is like -3.50 or .75

    I hope the vaccine keeps shingles away. I too have heard nasty things about it.

    ReplyDelete