Tuesday, January 29, 2019

More About Recent Knitting

As I teased last week, I'm doing something a little new for my latest socks.

Yarn before winding:


By the way, I noticed something interesting when I was poking through my stash for STR: I have some skeins with wildly different amounts of yarn. Look at that: 127, 146, and 155 grams!
Anyway, back to winding. This kind of worked.
And here we are, ready to go:
And just getting started.
A little in:
And finally to the point where you can see the pattern!
As I had previously mentioned, I was inspired by wearing an old pair of Claire socks; I made them in 2012, and they're holding up remarkably well for 7-year-old socks. I made this pattern at least twice, and I'm not sure why I didn't make more, but hey, it's time! I like how the yarn colors and pattern are combining. I think they work well together: the colors aren't pooling badly (in my opinion, anyway) and you can still see the pattern.

Here's where I have to tell you that I am anticipating a possible problem: I suspect these may be too big. However, this is not the common knitter's blindness, where you look at a project, wonder if it's coming out too big, and then decide that oh no it's fine and knit blindly on, in denial. My eyes are very open to this. I'm suspicious because the size I'm making is 72 stitches, and in my usual pattern, it's 64, so these should be much too big.

However! The old pair fits me, and it's the same number of stitches, type of yarn, and size needle, so ... I'm going on, and wondering what the result will be. Despite the fact that Blue Moon calls this yarn STR Lightweight, it's actually moderately heavy for sock yarn, which does make for a firm fabric, and maybe that helps it stay up when a lighter one would slip down the ankle. We shall see.

Meanwhile, the bag I showed in the teaser is from a Mass-based artist, Stitched by JessaLu (I have one of her box bags as well).
Although this bucket bag is apparently designed with spinners in mind (which is why the handle can be undone, to clip onto the spinning wheel), it's just right for a sock project, and cute as a button sheep. She finds such fun fabrics, and does nice work; I'm very happy with it.

I'm low on time tonight (the Bruins are finally back after their bye week and the all-star game), so I'll tease again; look what else I've been up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment