Thursday, January 18, 2018

Answer: Neither

Question: Is that the first sock of the pair you're making, or the second?

Yeah, it's another experiment.

I've mentioned before (in September and October) that, for the latest socks I'm making, this yarn has a really, really gradual color transition. And if you look at that second post, you'll also see that I wrote:
...the skein is enough for three socks, almost...
Well, I finished the second sock, and there's no almost about it. And given how the two socks already don't match (and also that I had other knitting, and enough other things, going on, that the idea of worrying about which yarn was up to bat next did not appeal), I decided to just go on, and see what happens.

So here's where we are:
Or, in order of the yarn:
It starts out so light.
Changes so little.
Then, partway down the foot, darkens somewhat:
And again, little change.
The center of the yarn ball is darker (though not actually what you would call dark).
It's been a learning experience, this yarn. Which, as a refresher, is Chincoteague Colors Tides Gradient Collection, and don't get me wrong, it's lovely yarn to work with. The color is just not doing what I expected, at all. Which is more on me than on the yarn!

In other knitting news, I did go ahead and frog that second sock from the reclaiming project. I dug out what was left over from making the socks in the first place, so it will all be together.
Now it can rest for a bit.

And, back to the blanket, I decided to wet-block the swatch I made for the blanket, to see how much it would stretch out.

Before:
And after:
Not a huge change, but that's fine; I just wondered how the slight bumpiness would do, and it does flatten down a bit.

Of course, the real test is washing it in the machine, to see what that does. So I sent it through the washer and dryer, and it (unsurprisingly) curled up again. I think I will try again, sending it through just the washer, then laying it flat to dry, and see what that does. Just out of curiosity!

1 comment:

  1. That blanket swatch looks more like it squared up rather than stretching out. It still looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete