Sunday, September 18, 2016

Knitting Through Tough Times

My uncle, my father's brother, died yesterday. I'm not really ready to go through it here (I'm still working through it in my head), but I want to explain why I found myself going through yarn today, looking for something soft that I could work with.

I don't know if other craft types pick up their craft for comfort (scrapbookers, quilters, anyone want to weigh in?), but knitters often do, and today I found myself winding some lovely alpaca yarn to play with. I got this at Apple Festival last year, and it is like butter, soft and warm and velvety.

I poked around Ravelry a little and found a pattern that looked good, a shawl that wasn't too simple and wasn't too complicated. I cast on, and a little way in, I couldn't decide if it was maybe a little too tight (pro tip: if you aren't sure, it almost always is). So I took a larger needle and the other ball of yarn, and did the same in that.

They look pretty similar (in this crappy photo), don't they?
I was a little surprised, considering I went up two needle sizes. But I think the larger one is slightly better, so I will go on with that and see how I feel about it as I go on.
On I go.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry. As to the shawl, go with the one that feels better. Cyber hugs sent your way.

    ReplyDelete