Thursday, September 22, 2016

One Small "Be Careful What You Wish For"

Every time in my life that I have attempted a regular exercise program, I have wished (in vain) for some sort of positive effect to come of it. Lose weight, clothing fits better, have more energy, feel better ... something, anything, other than the whole tired/sweaty/sore result that I get. And I never get anything.

Well, I was getting dressed recently and noticed that, hey, are my biceps more muscular than they used to be? This is a low bar, of course, as I have never had particularly muscular arms (now, if only knitting brought that about). But still, does that muscle feel more ... there? Hmm. I think it might.

Which, on the one hand, is cool: Look! Positive reinforcement! The hated arm work (my least favorite part of the water aerobics) is actually paying off.

On the other hand, biceps? Really? I can honestly say that I have never, ever had arms on the list of areas I wish to improve. I just don't notice them. Can I carry the groceries in without dropping them? Awesome; my arms are doing their job. (Mind you, I do drop plenty of things, but that's the arthritis in the hands, not the biceps.) So for this to be the first result I ever notice? Well. Mixed feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment