Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Thinking About Exercise

Actually, I'm not just thinking about it, I am doing it: I had a doctor's appointment last week, and I was glad to be able to tell him that, truthfully. He asked how much, and I said 10-15 minutes on the bike at a time. He said he'd rather it was 30 minutes, and I said, "Sure, but my legs don't agree." His suggestion was to try adjusting the bike to lower resistance, so that I could go longer, and I have since made it to 15 minutes much more easily (if easily is the way to put it, which it isn't really), so that's something to keep working at. Meanwhile, however, I find that even with the bike seat cushion, it's hard on my rear end! How sad, with all that cushioning I have, built in, that it isn't where I need it.

It makes me wonder if I should try a treadmill or something else that doesn't require sitting. Gail Carriger recently mentioned her exercise thing, a stepper, but of course I need my hands free to knit (whatever keeps me exercising, right?). I don't really want to spend the money on a treadmill, and I don't have much room for one, but maybe there's something else... Any suggestions?

Meanwhile, I'm off to get on the bike before my evaporating energy dissipates completely. Good evening.


*****
Speaking of Gail Carriger, if you missed it, I'm giving away a copy of her fun book Soulless, and so far no one has put their name in for it! Don't you want it? On its fifth birthday and all?

4 comments:

  1. I would put my name in, but I already own (and like!) the book!

    Maybe a recumbent bike? I tried a regular exercise bike and it hurt my butt way too much too. We don't really have room for a recumbent, alas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gosh i have fallen so far off the exercise wagon i despair of ever getting back on, but i so need it for my mental and physical health ... thanks for posting, you have inspired me my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I dunno but my mom just bought a "rebounder." Probably dangerous to knit on it, however.

    (I own the book already, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Part 1 - EXERCISE (it really should be a four-letter word!): I have worked back up to a half hour on my bike. I get on as soon as I get up, after feeding the dogs. If I wait any later my brain kicks in and thinks of all sorts of other, more pressing time sponges. I used to have a treadmill (I love Freecycle!) that hubby added a shelf/table to so I could read email, surf the web, peruse catalogs, and yes, knit, too. I really hated having to give it up.

    Part 2 - BOOK!!!!! You are the reason the Parasol Protectorate is on my wish list. Still haven't read any. Still want to!!

    ReplyDelete