Thursday, October 02, 2014

Some Random Car Thoughts

I've gotten the sense from some people that they expect me to be excited by the Kia, and I'm not. It's fine, truly, and having a reliable car is a great relief, but excited, no. The Boat, as we called my first car, is unbeatable in that regard, as you might imagine. I don't usually post pictures of myself here, but I can't resist this one. For throwback Thursday, here I am in June 1985, with the best car ever: a 1969 Cadillac convertible.
(The photo is a Polaroid, by the way.)

I went up to the car dealership at lunchtime today, and got the registration and inspection taken care of, so the car is officially All Set. Whew! That too is a relief.

Buying a car is such a big purchase, such a big deal. Second only to buying a home, right? And you pretty much have to live with your decision for years. Yet I came home from the dealership last Tuesday, kissed Carlos, and realized he's more important to me than the car. I need the car for logistic reasons, but I don't need it to fill a place in my heart. The cat does that.

A benefit to buying a used car versus a new one: I called the insurance company to switch my coverage over, and the rate was a little higher, yes. Before the policy cycles in November, I owe them another $2.47. I think I can scrape that together, somehow...

1 comment:

  1. I agree, beings in your life (4 or 2-legged) are much more important than a car.

    Are you sure you don't need to put up a "help me" site for that $2.47?

    ReplyDelete