Monday, May 05, 2014

A small but important step

I got a call today* from the recruiter at the company, letting me know that I'd passed the background check (which, duh, but also a little bit of whew), and that they're going to check references next (though, that they have done so is unconfirmed by any of my references as of yet). It isn't actually that much closer to resolution, but at least it's something. I mean, I know this is moving quickly overall; a month ago, I hadn't heard of this company, and now I'm waiting for the offer! It's just, waiting is so hard. This kind of waiting IS better than the waiting-and-not-knowing kind, but that doesn't make it pleasant.
*I had a bit of a headache today, so I was rubbing my head and silently imploring the universe, as I've been doing a lot lately, to please, please let something happen, please, progress today, please ... when I looked at my phone (which had the ringer off) and realized that ... there's a call coming in? Oh.

Also, funny story: when I met with the founder last week, she told me that the recruiter I'd initially spoken to was no longer with them, having found a permanent position elsewhere, but they had a new contract recruiter who I would be hearing from. Well, it turns out that she's the same person I spoke with for a phone interview last Thanksgiving, at a different company obviously, for the position that ended up being filled by an internal candidate. Isn't it a small world? She was very pleasant then, and I vastly appreciated being told so quickly what was going on (plus, let's face it, that's about the best reason to get rejected, it's so completely understandable and in no way personal), so those seem like good things. It all falls into place (knock wood).

*****
Deep thoughts from work today: Anyone can make mistakes, and after all if they didn't, I wouldn't have a job. Also, anyone can make a stupid mistake, and it does not mean they are a stupid person. However, once a person has been seen to make a stupid mistake, it's easier to believe they will make more. They start to lose the benefit of the doubt when, for instance, they speak of a market that is crowed, instead of crowded.

*****
I realized over the weekend that the recent anniversary of my dad's death passed without my noting it. It's not that I don't think of him, I think of him just about every day, but, five years on, the day he died, the memories of that day, seem to have loosened their hold. I mean, I can remember it clearly, and probably always will, but in a less constant and involuntary way. I think that's also a small but important step.

I can't believe it's been five years, though. That's way too long for a girl to be without her daddy.

Aaaaanyway, let's not end on that note. How about a gratuitous Carlos photo? After years of admiring them elsewhere, I finally caught the elusive "slurp" photo.
Slurp!

2 comments:

  1. Very impt step. I thought of your dad in late April but also not on "the" day. Much too long to be without him, of course.
    Fingers crossed on job ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I interviewed for the job I hold now it took FOREVER to hear anything. I kept getting a call from the guy that interviewed me (soon to be my boss) to make sure that I was kept in the loop as they took ages to get anything done. So, yeah, it seems like a long time but sometimes that happens. It seems to be progressing in a positive way though.

    ReplyDelete