Thursday, April 03, 2014

Hell of a Way to Run a Railroad

Two non-great things happened in succession at work this morning, one HR-related (not bad news, but badly handled) and one related to the report I'm slogging through; sorry to be vague, but I don't feel like too much detail is appropriate. And anyway, let's focus on the key part: how it made me feel! The answer is twofold:
  • These people either don't know what they're doing, or don't care; and
  • Why am I even bothering to work hard?
The irony is that I've been feeling a bit better about the job recently. I still don't like my boss, but the ability to work remotely some of the time, whether it's from Florida or just from my couch, has improved my tolerance for the situation. My recent promotion (did I mention that? "senior editor" as of this month) felt like recognition that my contribution is both valuable and valued. Today, however, poked a good-sized hole in that balloon, and I had to continually fight for motivation. Sigh.

The good news, though smaller, is also twofold:
  • I was already going to the grocery store after work, so I could pick up ice cream; and
  • I'm working from home tomorrow. Carlos will be so happy.
And hey, at least I don't hate my job this much.

Also, this made me smile: bouncing llama!

Also also, it wasn't snowing today. So it could certainly be worse. Mind you, the Bruins lost last night; a win tonight would be much appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Boing! Boing! Boing! Boing! Llamas are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's truly sad that at this point of the year we are still just couting it a win if it isn't snowing! C'mon sun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I am impressed about your promotion. Congratulations my friend.

    ReplyDelete