Thursday, August 02, 2012

A Little Geeky Recommendation

Don't know how many of you are fans of the webcomic XKCD, but it's a lot of fun (though sometimes I don't "get it", but I figure it's me being not quite that day's flavor of geek, and try again next time). Don't you have to love a site with this on their page?
Warning: this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors).
I do (have to love it, that is). So I recommend that one, and if you go there, be sure to hover your mouse over each image to get the extra info (a text box appears when you do, and it's usually extra funny).

I heard recently that the same guy is doing a weekly blog called What If, where he addresses the "strange hypothetical science questions in my email". I finally got around to reading it, and it is more great geeky fun. It's deeply physics-y, which I wouldn't have thought would appeal to me at all, and to be honest I've skimmed some, but.

But.

I cried out over a throwaway in the post on Yoda, which addresses the question, "How much Force power can Yoda output?" when he references getting information from a Star Wars fan wiki called ... wait for it ... Wookieepedia. Ah! Excellent! I spend a fair bit of time every day of Wikipedia, checking if some word or disease is "actually a thing", so it's fresh in my mind.

The end pun on that post is also good.

I'm off to see if the Olympics coverage is showing anything other than basketball and boxing, which have been my pre-prime time options all week. If only I wanted to watch either! Are you watching any of it?


2 comments:

  1. I *love* XKCD. There are some geeky ones that I don't get that the techies here roar over; it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES that pun is hilarious.

    I am a big fan of Olympic swimming but the spoilers have been KILLING me. I can't even log out of my email because it goes to a news homepage and always has an Olympic spoiler right there. Arrrgh.

    ReplyDelete