Sunday, June 12, 2011

Scattered Sunday

I know this is true of headaches, and probably it's true of other ailments and maladies as well: if you have a bad one, or even a semi-bad one, then when it gets less bad, you're kind of grateful, even if it doesn't go all the way away. You wish it would go all the way away, but you know it could be worse because it just was, so you have to be a little happy about that. Which is kind of weird and backward now that I write it down, but this is the best I can do with half a headache.

So: the bad news is that I have half a headache, but the good news is that I don't have a whole headache! And my stomach is barely upset (it currently rates one on a scale of one to ten, one being Am Aware of Stomach). So this is good!

Because some function is possible with half a headache. Sadly for you, coherent and entertaining blog posting is not on that list, but laundry is (good thing, since I blew it off last weekend), and washing dishes, and even making tuna noodle casserole (currently in the oven). Knitting is, assuming no complex patterns, and taking pictures of knitting also is. Behold the sweater:


Doesn't it look ... kind of close to being done? And like it might fit? I am waiting for the other shoe to drop, metaphorically speaking. We'll see where tomorrow night's nervous knitting gets me.

And now, since we have that lack of coherence thing going on, here are some random pictures for you. A shoe store that should be ashamed of itself:


I mean, selling shoes for just one kid? Doesn't that sound wrong? This is America! Shoes for all kids!

A car with stickers I crave:


Eat chocolate. Feel Better!

Finally, this was in a charming old novel I just read, called Marjorie's New Friend. It's part of a series, it was published in 1909, and I enjoyed every peaceful page. And it tickled my fancy to think that a century ago, a girl of about twelve would know a word that sent me to the OED to look it up. Eleemosynary!



There was also this charming piece of advice:
For every evil under the sun,
There is a remedy, or there's none;
If there is one, try to find it,
And if there is none, never mind it.
Easier said than done, don't you think?

4 comments:

  1. I hate headaches, too. Even halves of headaches. Y'know, I just read an article mentioning research that found wearing tinted lenses may ward off migraine headaches. I couldn't find any links to actual studies, though. Frustrating!

    That sweater is looking awesome. I love the color.

    Shoes for all kids! And hooray for vocab lessons in reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the half a headache thing, only with me it's my shoulder. It hurts all the time but some times more than others. You know it's gotten bad when you dream about it. I dreamt one night that my shoulder didn't hurt and I was so amazed by it.

    Love how the sweater is coming along. It certainly does look like it is fitting well so, booyah!

    I, too, love the old books. I have a fondness for juvenile fiction of the 1920's and for French fiction of the 1800's. Interesting to see how people lived then, what social mores were considered acceptable and such things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sweater look very nice and yes, I do believe it will fit.

    Isn't it funny (and perhaps sad) that Eleemosynary would be commonly known back in a time when people did actually try to do good works while it's quite archaic today.

    For me it's the knees. Today is a good day with hardly any aching but when the weather turns bad again I know what will follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sweater is not only gorgeous but giving me very green eyes. I can't wait to see it done!

    Sorry about your headache. Is it related to the weather (which I know sounds crazy but...) someone I know gets awful migraines when storms are on their way. For me it's my joints, for her it's headaches. Either way we can predict the weather with our fabulous bodies. Hope you find some relief soon/

    ReplyDelete