Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Knit Pondering

One of my friends is pregnant. One of my knitting friends.

I'll give you a moment to let that sink in.

You got it: Baby knitting!

As she reads this blog (hi!), I have to decide whether I'll blog about what I make as I'm making it, or keep it a surprise and only show it here* after gifting, but in the meantime, I have decisions to make. Like: what type of item? Blanket? Sweater? Other? Or what about pattern? Or yarn type, or color?

*And on Ravelry, for that matter, since we're friends there too. I may have to track my work on paper! How retro.

Some initial thoughts:
  • He is a boy, but his parents are not set on blue-is-for-boys*, so anything goes color-wise.
  • He's due in May, meaning sweaters won't be quite as necessary as if he was going to be, say, a January baby. Though of course, a sweater in a 6-12 size (or larger) would still be good, if not as immediately usable.
  • For the sake of the new parents, I think machine-wash is only kind. Even though a knitting mom would be aware of the pitfalls, I feel that asking the sleep-deprived to remember which item needs special care is a little mean, when there are plenty of lovely machine-wash yarns out there. Plus, the baby doesn't have a knitting dad. (Maybe not mean. Rude, maybe.)
*Neither am I, for that matter, since I think blue is a lovely color on any baby, and it's probably my favorite color personally. But I do try to respect strong feelings on the part of the recipient, even when I don't agree with them.

Think, think, think. Ponder, ponder. Search, search. So many choices!

Any thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. Blankets are always nice to have. I seem to recall my late friend who crocheted would do some sort of toy, or maybe a bear?

    Good luck on the stealth part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superwash wool, of course. Entrelac and miter knitting are both fun for baby blankets. I have a few patterns and a new grandbaby due Memorial Day to pore over. I share.

    Even in May, baby hats are indispensable. I'm just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, definitely machine washable. If you are thinking of a blanket, knit picks has the lovely "swish" in different weights. It is 100% wool, really nice to knit with, very soft AND machine washable. Oh, it comes in lots of colors, too! Good luck with whatever you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blankets are nice but a 12 month size sweater and hat is even better in my opinion... If you look at my ravelry page you'll see a stunning (if I say so myself) sweater I knit for Blake in self striping sock yarn. It's different, not baby-like yet ever so cute and easy to care for.

    I'm giggling as your security word is "focka" - almost like that new (classless) movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Secret projects are the most fun! ;-)

    ReplyDelete