Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Looking Past the Snow

Given what's headed our way:


I'm glad to have something to look forward to. (If you're not familiar with such maps, I'll break it down for you. The green is rain, the purple is a mix of rain and snow, and the blue is snow. Lots and lots of snow.)

What is it, you ask? Well, let me set up the story.

I've never been particularly fond of math, but I like numbers, and patterns, which at times has led to odometer-watching near milestones like the recent 55555 and the upcoming 56789, or being pleased when my phone number has 42 in it--twice. Now here's the latest story.

On 1/10/11
I made a reservation for 10 days from today
(which is 1/11/11)
and my flight leaves* at 1:11
(Even the street number of the airport parking is 111)
*Or is scheduled to leave, at any rate

How very binary it sounds.

Yes, my friends at JetBlue decided to have another fare sale, and I decided that a few days in the relative warmth of Florida, hanging out with mama, sounded blissful. I mean, look at the weather there versus here:



The job is very much winding down, so they won't miss me. Carlos will, but he'll be okay. I expect my unemployment will last more than a few days, so he will get extra laps and snuggles soon enough.

Really, I have to go: I just unpacked the shells I picked up last time, so I need to go get more!


In other milestones, Miri has now been a resident for 2 years, and Carlos for almost one year. They were both cuddled up with me when I woke up this morning--well, okay, technically Carlos was cuddled up with me, while I'm sure Miri thought of herself as being cuddled up with Carlos--but it was warm and soft and furry and VERY hard to get up.

As the screen shot at the top of the post indicates, we're having major snow tomorrow, at least a foot of it, and if I'm not excited about the cold and the mess and the shoveling (and I most certainly am not), I look forward to sleeping in; I judge myself quite non-essential personnel, who need not brave the snow and wind to get to work.

Now I'm off to watch the Bruins game. Which team will show up? The team that blew a 2-0 lead in Montreal Saturday night and lost most ignominiously in overtime, or the team that came back from a 2-0 deficit in Pittsburgh last night to win 4-2? You just never know who you'll be watching. (Edited to add: my goodness, 6-0! Wasn't that a pleasant surprise. And my favorite, Bergeron, with the hat trick. Ahh.)

4 comments:

  1. I can't read your date #s so they make sense.... but I understand the idea. You have snow and are planning to head south. I am south and am scheduled to return north. My return schedule is for Thursday, hopefully after they have cleaned up most of the muck in the major highways. Hubby will take care of home parking and pickup.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, good luck with having fun in the snow then getting to Florida. I hope it all works out for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, all the snow lately does make Florida sound very appealing, so how cool that you're going soon! Those shells are very pretty, too.

    I got a snow day for school, too--sleeping in is great resting up for all the digging out, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay to Florid on such a cool date no less. Hope it's not too bad there. I sent the youngest out with a yardstick but she kept sinking, hilarious but not very accurate.
    I love the snow so much, but our driveway is incredibly long and it's curvy. Trying to get out of that mess makes me want to scream.

    ReplyDelete