Tuesday, January 09, 2007

old year's resolutions

Well, between getting over this effing cold, and headaches, life has been a bundle of joy lately, hasn't it? It could certainly be worse, I know: I am mostly over the cold, just still sooo congested; and the headaches that bothered me Saturday-Sunday-Monday weren't bad today. And hey, global warming or whatever, this is my idea of January weather. But still.

Anyway, I got to thinking. I very much enjoy reading some people's new-year's inspired lists, like Laurie's, but somehow it doesn't inspire me to do anything similar. And then, light bulb over head! I realized that if I had tried in any way to predict my own 2006, I would have missed my major milestones completely. So I am going to look back on what I did last year, which since it was goodness knows one hell of a year ought to inspire me sufficiently for 2007. The first three are the biggies, but the small victories are victories as well.

1. Bought a condo. Not that the idea itself was totally unforseen. I first thought of Buying in 2004, just before my last job announced the site closing and changed my plans. But still, somehow this felt like a whirlwind surprise. And I'm so happy with it!

2. Bought a car. Actually, I knew I was going to do this. My previous car was more than 11 years old, and I had car trouble coming back from Grandma's last Christmas, so yes, I could have predicted that I would have a new car by December 31. Still, I'm happy with it!

3. Went to Hawaii. This was totally out of the blue, and great fun. Amazing, really. Just for example: in 2 and a half weeks, I took something like 700 photos. Can you say digital-camera-excess-itis? Whew!

4. Started blogging. I had no plans to do this, and am actually kind of enjoying expressing my thoughts and sending them into the void. And it's such good writing practice!

5. Expanded my knitting horizons. Having the basics of hats mastered, this year I made shawls and socks and gained confidence in my ability to experiment and visualize. I reaffirmed my committment to using yarn I like, even if it's a) expensive, or b) of a fiber scorned by others. If I like it, and I can afford it, why not? If I want to make it, why not? Maybe I'll post a montage soon.

That's what springs to mind. Now, Pan is meowing for my lap, the Bruins are getting ready for the third period, and I'm still dragging with the effects of this cold, so that'll have to do it, oh my legion of adoring fans. Good night, good night, parting is such sweet sorrow...

1 comment:

  1. My sister and I do something similar every year around New Years Eve/Day...we think back on the year and share at least 3 of our favorite moments. We then take a flying leap of faith and imagination to wonder where we will be personally, emotionally, physically 12 months hence. And some of those flights of fantasy actually came true-ish.

    You had an amazing year. This one is gonna be even better!

    ReplyDelete