Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Talk of chocolate things

I enjoyed writing about ice cream last month, and what could be better? Why, chocolate, of course. Can we say it again? Chocolate... mmm.

So, one of the fabulous things about chocolate is the variety. Most chocoholics aren't too judgmental if someone likes a different type or variety or brand of chocolate than they do (deep down, they're probably glad the person won't be sneaking off with something that is rightfully theirs). Much like a knitter might not argue if you don't love the kind of yarn they do: they'll think you're wrong-headed and deluded, but at least you won't be in their way when that yarn is on sale! As long as you like chocolate, or yarn; otherwise there isn't much to talk about. (A rare exception to this is my brother, who doesn't like chocolate himself--it's one of his very few flaws--but who is the most obliging non-chocoholic imaginable. Who else would suggest going to see "Chocolate: The Exhibition", or would eat at a mostly-chocolate restaurant?) So here are some of my favorites types and brands and so on. Chocolate talk. (Let's see if I can control myself at all.)

Generally, I like caramel (with milk chocolate, by preference, and without nuts), and also mint (with dark chocolate), and buttercrunch (preferably without any nuts adhering to the chocolate), and either milk or dark by itself (though truffles don't generally ring my bell). I'm not generally a big fan of nuts in chocolate, or fruit, though there are exceptions. I don't scorn the occasional Snickers bar, or Twix, or Mounds (because sometimes you may feel like a nut, but I almost never do). For the good stuff, though, I have a few favorites.

Harbor Sweets is a big favorite, and has been for years. They're semi-local to me, in Salem, MA, and when I was a kid I remember going to the factory store, or was it a tour? Anyway, they're sold in various boutiques around the country, as well as on the website, of course. Every year, my mother sends me their chocolate-a-day Advent calendar (thanks again!), and let me tell you, that will spoil you for the little cheap drugstore ones for all time. I mean, what's the good of a chocolate a day if it isn't good chocolate?

My all-time favorite from Harbor Sweets has to be the Marblehead Mint, which is dark chocolate with little crunchy bits of peppermint. Delicious! I just ate one, so the delicious is fresh in my memory.

I am also very fond of the Sweet Sloops, which come in individual pieces or in bars (even better! the "pecan spindrift" on the individuals looks cute, but doesn't do much for my personal taste buds). They are buttercrunch at heart, with mostly white chocolate covering. They have a little touch of dark chocolate, too; in the bars, equal amounts of each. (While we speak of buttercrunch, by the way, I got some on sale after Christmas last year from Lands' End, of all places, that was delicious. Who would have thought?)

Harbor Sweets does plenty of other varieties, some I like more than others (Harbor Lights, with raspberry/cranberry in dark chocolate, yum), but these are the major favorites.

A newer company to me is also New England-y, Lake Champlain Chocolates from Vermont. They have an assortment they call Chocolates of Vermont, which contains four charming varieties: Honey Caramel (love it), Maple Crunch (like it), Evergreen Mint (love it; it's much the same as the Marblehead Mints), and Green Mountain (like it). It is nice to expand one's borders, don't you think?

What kind do you like? Why?

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, CCR, I can't resist this one.

    I'm a Lindt girl. LOVE the milk chocolate truffle. The texture is to die for.

    http://www.lindtusa.com/shop_barkits-zoompop.cfm?PID=977

    The raspberry bar also good:

    http://www.lindtusa.com/shop_barkits-zoompop.cfm?PID=989

    Green & Black's is organic U.K. chocolate. I've tried mint and espresso. Both good, but don't eat them cold. This is very hard chocolate, and best enjoyed warmed up to room temperature. So don't eat it in your car in the parking lot on a cold day like some selves I know, and ruin it.

    IMO there is only one good American chocolatier, aside from indie shops like you describe: Cocoa Pete's. Looks like the website is under construction, but the Cocoa Pete's caramel espresso bar is the second-best chocolate bar I ever ate.

    http://www.cocoapetes.com

    The best chocolate bar I ever had I ate about 20 years ago. I saved the wrapper, it was that good. It was made by a maker of premium Belgian chocolate, Flaronis. It doesn't even look like Flaronis makes bars anymore...

    http://www.flaronis.com/index.php?rubrik=10&seite=0&sprache=2

    ReplyDelete