Wednesday, December 20, 2006

First blowout of the season?

I think it was. The Bruins won last night, 7-2, and they never trailed, and it was never closer than 5-2. I don't think they've won so handily all year. What is it with the Bruins and Ottawa in recent years, anyway? Even last season, when the Sens were good and the Bruins generally awful, we still beat them most of the time. This year, they haven't been quite as good and we haven't been quite as bad (consistently, anyway), and here we still are, beating them. It's funny, isn't it?

And Patrice Bergeron had five assists. Five! Wow. Marco Sturm had a hat trick; he looked so happy. I think it was his second in the NHL; first as a Bruin, anyway. Zdeno Chara was booed all night for the crime of being a former Senator who had the nerve to sign with another team, which is understandable from an Ottawa fan's perspective. It gets me thinking about Z, though.

He's a good player. I'm not saying he's not. But I haven't seen him as the Great Player I was expecting when the Bruins signed him. Other than his sacrificial, team-inspiring, 'block the shot with his body in a meaningless preseason game' thing, I can't think of any big, game-turning performances he's given. I kind of expected him to be more of a catalyst than I'm seeing. Playing against him, he certainly had a knack for getting between my team and where they were trying to go. Am I just not seeing it as clearly in reverse?

Don't get me wrong. He is a good player. And at six-foot-nine, he's certainly a presence on the ice. I'm sure he inspires his teammates in many ways. I think, in retrospect, I was picturing Ray Bourque Plus, and that's what I haven't seen. Anyone want to weigh in on this? Is it me, or is it him?

1 comment:

  1. Seeing the title I thought you had an incident with the car and the tires...

    I appreciate your hockey team fandom while not having a clue to what you are talking about :-)

    ReplyDelete