Sunday, November 19, 2006

Ice cream

Must take a break from packing. Want to think about something other than packing. For something totally random, how about ice cream?

I was thinking about it last night. No, I don't know why. My brain is pretty much doing its own thing lately. Anyway, here are some thoughts about ice cream.

Most recent purchase: Turkey Hill Choco Mint Chip.
TH is good ice cream, and I like the 'lots of little flecks' of chocolate, instead of big honking chunks. Plus, it's green; mint chocolate chip is supposed to be green. Get that white away from me!

Overall favorite:
Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch.
I've always liked coffee ice cream, and with Heath Bars, well. Yum. Plus, I love the story of how B&J used to break the bars into the right size pieces (before the company got too big for such attention to detail). They froze the whole box, carried it up a six-foot ladder, and dropped it on the floor. Voila!

Local favorite: Ginger snap molasses from Rancatore's* (Lexington and Belmont, if you're around here).
Oh, so good! If you like ginger snaps or molasses cookies, it's for you. They don't always have it in stock, and I've been known to call ahead and check on it. Last time I was in, I tasted another flavor, I think it was Cinnamon Eggnog, and that might grow on me, too.
I tried "ginger" ice cream somewhere else, by the way, and was appalled: it was completely flavorless! Forget subtle, it was neuter. I didn't half finish it; waste of calories.
*Mum, that's the place we went last time, where you had to wait while they whipped fresh cream for you. Mmmmm.

I remember as a kid when the family trekked to Steve's, and there was always a long line, and you could watch the machine in the window churning out the latest batch. That was when mix-ins were a revolutionary idea.

They say that New Englanders eat more ice cream per capita than any other region of the country. I believe it.

All right, back to work!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm, ice cream. Totally agree with you on mint chocolate chip being green. And flecks. Hilarious re B&J breaking the Heath Bars!

    Ok, darn it, I've gotta track down - again - who the heck sells Denali ice cream here in Portland. I feel the need for some Caramel Caribou.

    And I've been sending sympathetic vibes re moving. Gives me the willies. I'm a confirmed packrat. ;) Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Brigham's chocolate chip in the quarts from the grocery store. The vanilla is just right vanilla favored and the chips a small and still have a crunch to them. Their chocolate is good too.
    At Kimball Farm and other local ice cream places I often order coffee oreo. There is just something about the taste of chocolate cookies and creamy coffee.
    My daughter eats any ice cream with peanut butter, Turkey Hill being her favorite. I don't like salty ice cream.
    I haven't thought of Steve's in ages but whenever we drive by that area I mention that it used to be there.
    Karen
    http://nothingbutknit.blog-city.com/

    ReplyDelete