Monday, November 06, 2006

countdown, etc

First, I know you've all been wondering, so I'll come out with it: my hand is getting better. The swelling is going down, and though the itching resurfaces regularly, it's an improvement. What an ordeal! I'm not sure how much I'll panic the next time a bee comes near me, but it's safe to say I won't handle it well. Perhaps I can find a little locket with space to carry a Benadryl always with me ... or is that overreacting? :)

So, two weeks from tomorrow is the condo closing (I hope). What happened to this fall? I blinked, and here we are, two weeks to Thanksgiving. I may have to read back to see what I've been doing: blog as memory-jogger. I'm trying to walk the line between being prepared too far in advance, and not being ready for the movers when they come (my usual course of inaction). We'll see how I'm doing as the time ticks down.

Now, in unrelated news, I read something recently that appalls me. Listen to this:
"Studies have shown that over 60% of low-income children don't have a single book at home; in a typical low-income neighborhood, there is only one book per 300 children."
Isn't that awful? I've been more worried about giving a book to a child who already has it; what a sheltered life I lead. Go here to learn more, and consider doing something, if you are so inclined. Thus endeth the lesson for today.

One of my after-work errands tonight was to Building 19, which if you are unfamiliar is a great place to find bargains (they buy irregulars, damaged goods, mixed lots, basically odds and ends). It isn't a good idea to go with anything particular in mind, at least if you would be disappointed not to find what you want, but you can find amazing deals on things if you're willing to wander. After looking at the items I went for, that I saw in the circular, I did some browsing, didn't find a couple of things on my general need-to-buy list, and then scored!

They had some kids books in a messy pile, and I picked up what seemed to be the only copy of the unabridged Chronicles of Narnia on CD, actually on 31 CDs, read by fabulous people like Kenneth Branagh and Michael York. Original publisher's price, $75 ($192 value, says the box). Interim markdown somewhere, $45.48. I paid $9.98, yes ten bucks for this fabulous set. Whew! I'm giddy.

In closing, I give you Pan-in-a-box (so far, he likes moving!):



and Harold-on-the-bed:



Off to root for the Bruins. Could they win two in a row? Wouldn't that be crazy?

1 comment:

  1. Will you share your Narnia Chronicles CDs? I hope the readers on the CD are as fabulous as the deal you got!
    ~kali

    ReplyDelete