Friday, October 27, 2006

Who am I, and what am I knitting?

I can't make sense of my knitter self lately (even aside from the issue of stop-knitting-start-packing!). The sock I cast on last Saturday with such intensity? I started to work on it a little last night*, then put it aside, disinterested. I think I'm worried about its fit: this pressure of making fitted objects! I may have to step back to blankets and scarves for a little while. I'm still interested in socks, but all the variables of yarn, needles, patterns, and feet are overwhelming sometimes.

*Last night. The Bruins. Need I say more? Managing to keep Montreal to a 2-2 tie until 1.2 seconds left in the game? And then boom? For the love of hockey fans. I do feel sorry for Matt Lashoff. That's a hard way to learn that just because the other guy got away with holding does not mean the referee will let you get away with it. His first NHL game, and he's got to feel like the goat, taking that penalty.

At least, he'd
better feel like the goat. It isn't all his fault, of course, but by all the gods, everyone involved should feel rotten about how they're doing. Why should I be the only unhappy one? New GM, new coaching staff, about three-quarters of the players changed from a year ago, and same old stinky team. Come on, fellas. Please.

Anyway. The other knitting I tried recently was that Ruffles scarf, in two colors. The original pattern mentioned briefly and unspecifically that using two colors could be a fun alternative. I need more details! I tried just knitting and switching colors at the mid-way point of the crossover row, but it soon became clear that I was going to end up with 2 half scarves next to each other on the needles, totally unconnected. I googled around trying to find someone blogging about doing it, and how, and I did find one blogger who said she had also been trying to figure it out herself, and had ended up switching colors and then wrapping the first color around the first stitch of the second color. I tried that, and it worked, but of course the wrapped stitches brought a hole-y look to the center of the scarf. At first, I thought that it would work (it's not an error, it's a design feature!), but a little further along, I decided that it really didn't work with the yarn and the rest of the pattern, which isn't at all lacey otherwise. Back to the frog pond. That was the point at which I used the new alpaca to start Ruffles, later frogged as well. I'll have to try to get help from someone who's done it in two colors, because I do still like the idea of the alternating ruffle colors. I can't find a blog that explains the part I'm not getting.

So I'm stepping away for now. I have picked up a crochet hook and some vanilla yarn (natural heather is the actual color), and I'm going to be mindless for a while. It's Friday night, I don't feel great (I never did get really sick last week, I hope I'm not now), and the Great Pumpkin is on tv tonight. Sounds like down time to me. Then, assuming I'm not sick (oh, please), I can Get Things Done this weekend with verve and stamina. Right?

I wish I'd stopped for ice cream on the way home, though.

1 comment:

  1. See if a local library (or LYS) has a copy of Charlene Schurch's 'Sensational Knitted Socks'. (I got one sight unseen, used from Amazon, and I'm glad I did.) Fantastic book; thank god Franklin at The Panopticon mentioned it. Umpteen patterns for different kinds of socks: top-down, toe-up, diff. toe methods, different stitch patterns; size charts with measurements for umpteen sizes - men's, women's, children's. Then the sock patterns are organized by stitch patterns used (4-stitch, 6-stitch, etc.). The really neat thing is that *each* of those sections has a stitch table where you pick your size by foot circumference and stitch gauge. Where they intersect on the table, there's your cast-on number. Makes choosing a heckuva lot easier your first few times. (I'm still working on my first pair myself. [g]) Once you choose a pattern, no more worries. And after making 3-4 pairs, everyone says you've pretty well got how to do it it down pat!

    Which I'm hoping is true, LOL.

    There are some errata in the book, but you can find 'em all here:

    http://tinyurl.com/y5fnyj

    ReplyDelete