Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Here I am

So, I've been away from the blogosphere for a few days, and you feel neglected, do you? Poor thing. Well, I've been a little busy, one way and another:

Friday evening, drive 300 miles
Weekend, with family, Apple Festival, excellent (And I bought some lovely yarn from an alpaca farmer, and I really, really, Really want to do something with it, now, but I have, ahem, one or two other things to do. I'd better put it away so it stops sending me wistful looks.)
Sunday afternoon, drive back
Monday, work again (they're so demanding, with their expectations that I show up over and over... to quote Douglas Adams again, "Always expecting this and expecting that. May I recommend serenity to you?")
also Monday, headache, and much of Tuesday, headache

There should be a law that you can't have a headache on your birthday, shouldn't there? (Oh, you don't get headaches? Think two aspirin are serious measures, do you? Get down on your knees right now and thank your deity of choice. Fervently. You simply have No Idea what it's like for the rest of us.) It was pretty bad by the time I got home tonight, to the point where I was wondering how much I really need the left side of my brain -- I mean, it's not like it was working or anything. But I took some pills and lay down with a heat thing on my head, and two cats for moral support (they're very good at moral support, particularly when it involves being in bed), and after a while I felt better. Enough to get up and order pizza, which with the upset stomach that oft accompanies my headaches, is another minor miracle.

By the way, to support my continuing theory that Life likes to Mess With Me, here's what happened when I ordered the pizza. There's a place around the corner from me that's pretty good, so I called them. In the past, they have corrected me when I ordered a small pizza ("We don't do smalls") (even though there are 2 sizes on their menu, not labeled as to what they call the size), so I was careful to order a medium pizza. It turns out that since I last ordered, they have gone to one size fits all. Ohh-kay. Whatever size it is, I want one. It looked much like the size I remember the 'medium' looking, and it was really good, and my head still doesn't hurt. And if you don't get headaches, you have no idea what a profound statement that is. I am metaphorically on my knees, singing alleluias. (Physically, of course, I'm sitting on my butt at the computer, but you get my point.)

I will leave you with a knit-blog quote. Only a knitter could say this with a straight face:
Personally I think that arms are a really serious design problem.
The comment is from the Yarn Harlot's guest blogger, That Laurie (I don't know why she's called That Laurie, and it's confusing since she isn't the Laurie I generally refer to, but that's what she is called), who was filling in as Stephanie worked to the deadline for Book4. (And, as it turns out, got married: she was busy!)

And, a final finally for Mum: did the title of this post remind you of "Where are you?", "I'm hiding"? That's what I just thought of! Quite the week for family storytelling.

1 comment:

  1. Oh man. Overwhelmingly with you on the no headaches on birthdays thing. (Migraines, here.) I envy you two cats to snuggle with - they are the *best* when a headache fells you. Especially when you can get them to curl against your head so the purring sort of gently massages the throbbing nerve endings. Hurray for cats!

    And happy birthday, too!

    ReplyDelete