Here’s what I already hate about getting dental work (in today’s case, two crowns):
- Painful; I am a real wimp about my teeth especially
- Sitting still, not one of my strong suits
- Sensory overload; I have an oversensitive gag reflex, and all the hands and tools in my mouth are very overwhelming
- Expensive, even with dental insurance
- And I have to make myself go, even with all of that.
But on top of that? Adding in ten flights of stairs is just the icing on the cake.
However, I did leave (almost five hours later) with a question for you: why do you think there's a power outlet in the ceiling?

Is there some kind of work they have to do that high up that requires power? As a dentist's granddaughter, I'm fine with dental work although I haven't had much extensive work done, just a couple crowns due to old and cracked teeth. I guess I shouldn't have chewed on ice and popcorn kernels as a kid.
ReplyDeleteFor the holiday lights they will install on the ceiling to provide joy to all the patients?
ReplyDeleteI had to get one crown this year, my first one. I was completely wimpy and grumpy about it, and that's without 10 flights of stairs. Your grievances are justified.
For all you waded through to do that appointment, I think you deserve a straight answer from the dentist's office about the electrical outlet.
I asked the tech, and she looked up and said, "Huh. I don't know," in the tone of someone who was now going to be wondering.
DeleteYep- dental work. It's soooooo not fun and IT'S EXPENSIVE. Like you said- even WITH insurance. Well, hopefully yours is all over by now and you won't need anything again for a long time.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking it was built that way in order to have the option to move future equipment around. Or something. But I'm sitting here picturing an electric cord succumbing to gravity and thinking, is that really where they thought that should be?
ReplyDeleteI'd ask the dentist what they thought.
And I'm sorry you had to go to one and glad you could when you needed them and sharp metal pointy things in your mouth and and and. Yeah, I gotta do that too in a month or so.
The outlet is there for a tv or computer screen. My dentist has a tv above the chair and I get to watch the Food Network when I get my teeth cleaned. I literally almost puked last time because it was some show about BBQ and as a person who very very rarely eats meat, I was incredibly grossed out. But I digress. I don't know why it's so close to a window, but now that I think about it, my general dentist's is close to a window and there's a long cord along the ceiling to the tv.
ReplyDeleteTrue, my last dentist had a TV way up. This one doesn't, though the screen they use for their records and scans goes to screen-saver with jaunty thoughts about getting dental work done. I tried to ignore it.
DeleteI came to the comments because I, too, was curious about the outlet on the ceiling. Engie's response seems right! My dentist has a TV at the top of the wall. But not on the ceiling so when they're working on me, I can't see the TV. A travesty.
ReplyDeleteDental work of any kind makes me hyper-stressed. I always have to get sedated. FIVE HOURS THERE WOULD ABSOLUTELY KILL ME.
ReplyDeleteYou are a hero.
Thank you! They did try to spin all the down time as a positive: the dentist came in to tell me the first crown had been made and said something like, "You're having a break!" But between the boredom and the misery, it was quite a day.
DeleteHope your mouth is feeling good by now! Like others, I think that's an outlet for a TV.
ReplyDeleteMuch better, thanks! Just the weird little different-feeling-ness.
Delete