Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Following Up the Two Stories

(If you missed yesterday's blog, this follows from that, so pop back and read it first.)

Lisa RR in Toronto wondered who would be giving all that lovely yarn to a thrift store. While I can't know the answer for sure, I do know what my mother has told me many times over the years, which is that often they get a huge donation that is clearly from someone clearing out a home after a person has died. An entire wardrobe of clothing, bags and bags of it, usually means that Mom or Dad has died and the kids are clearing out the house to sell. It's just a fact of life, so to speak, when you live in an area with an older population.

In this case, I do wish I had known this knitter, since I feel I would have liked them: they had excellent taste in yarn! Someone in my knitting group suggested that they are looking down from the afterlife pleased that their stash came to someone who appreciated it, which is a nice thought. 

What it makes me think about, though, is the concept of a yarn will. When one has a lot of any type of supplies, like I do yarn, it's not a bad idea to have a plan laid out. Not necessarily part of a legal document, but just a plan that your loved ones can look to if something happens: "If I am hit by a bus, please offer my stash to ____, who can do with it as she wants." Though you may wish to check with your designated person, to make sure they would be pleased and not stressed out by it!

Or, conversely, not ask them, if you fear that after that, they would eye every yarn purchase you made like it would be theirs some day. ;)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the idea that you might have a line-item in your end of life plans for your yarn. I guess I should figure out who wants all my fabric and buttons! Something to think about, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing: I've been gradually collecting pottery from my friends Mel and Kris at mkwares.net for thirty years now, and one of my friends loves their stuff and has bought a few pieces at various art fairs but didn't want to take the financial plunge to outfit her entire kitchen with their work the way I have. I said something with a laugh in passing about willing mine to her and she leaped at the idea and said PLEASE do!

    It did make me blink a minute, and then laugh. Nope, nope, it's mine for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A yarn will!! That is such a delightful concept!

    ReplyDelete