Thursday, January 28, 2021

In Twenty-freaking-Twenty-One

What a horrible story this is: Oberlin family denied a burial plot in ‘whites only’ cemetery

And the president of the cemetery association says, “I take full responsibility for that. I’ve been the President of this board for several years now. I take full responsibility for not reading the by-laws.” Which, dude, is not the point. It's not like someone discovered accidentally that the bylaws were never updated. It's that an employee cited that bylaw as justification for not allowing a non-White person to be buried there. This is not a hidden embarrassment: it's right out in the open.

Unreal.

2 comments:

  1. The term "basket of deplorables" comes to mind .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right?? What kind of awful person looks a grieving family member in the eye and says "Your loved one can't be buried here because of their skin color." I wish it was shocking to me, but... this is America.

    ReplyDelete