Friday, January 15, 2021

Brrrr; Yay

Brrrr.

I'm cold.

I know, I know, it isn't cold here relative to a lot of places right now. But we've been running 5-10 degrees below normal for the time of year, and the time of year is not normally a hot one, so for us, it's been cold. 

Yes, we could turn the heat on. But how high do you want to turn it? It's really expensive to run (compared to the a/c). While we can layer up, that's what we do.

But I'm tired of wearing layers. I don't own enough warm clothing, so I'm wearing the same few things over and over. Long-sleeve shirt under sweater or sweatshirt. Long unders or leggings beneath sweatpants. Socks and slippers. Shawls and cowls and scarves and gloves, hoods and hats.

I'm cold. Mom and I don't like to keep it too cold: in hot weather, we set the air conditioning down to 78. Now it's running 70-75 inside here (which feels much nicer outside, in the sunshine, than it does at my desk). Brrr.

I'm cold. Today I put on warm leggings, and then sweatpants over them, then put a blanket over my lap, and was still cold. The socks and slippers worked to keep my feet warm, the shirt and sweater and scarf and hood kept my torso fairly warm, but my legs/hips/lap were cold.

(Maybe I need snow pants? Or something like these sherpa-lined pajama pants from Lands End, which sound delightful [sadly not available in my size]. Or something else, but what?). 

And every time I got up (bathroom, cat, food/drink), I had to unwrap and rewrap.

Brrr.

Yay

However! On the bright side!

I had a couple of vacation days left over from last year that I needed to use in January. We get Monday off for MLK Jr Day, and I wanted to be off for the inauguration on Wednesday (please let that go smoothly), so I'm taking Tuesday as well, and thus have a blissful five days off in front of me. Marvelous. Reading, knitting, relaxing, no alarm clock, and hopefully lots of sitting in the sunshine. Come on, sunshine!

3 comments:

  1. There was a January day a few years ago where my daughter pointed out that it was warmer there in Alaska than in Florida, where it froze over, and not only were the waterfalls running but a shrub and a tree species had burst into bloom in the dark.

    Climate change is weird.

    We're going to be at 71 this afternoon and 74 the next two days and it's not supposed to do that in January and I haven't even pruned my peaches and apple tree yet. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meanwhile, I was running so warm on Friday that having the heat set to 68 was too warm, so I put on a t-shirt and pajama shorts, and turned the heat down to 64!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a knitter AND you used to live in Boston, so how you can be "too cold" is beyond me - you've trained for this! Maybe roll around in your yarn stash to warm up?

    ReplyDelete