Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Alarms and Yarn

No metaphor, but an actual, literal alarm: a building near us had its alarm go off, roughly half of forever this afternoon.

WHOOP, WHOOP, WHOOP.

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP.

(Period where if you're outside, you can hear the distant recorded voice telling people to evacuate, and if you are inside, all you 'hear' is a pause just long enough to make you think it's done, before the WHOOP starts again.)

So that was fun.

When it had been going on for about an hour, I looked up the number for the city's code enforcement, and called them to ask if this counted as violating the noise ordinance. The call was pushed through to the sheriff's office, so I asked them if something, anything could be done, and she said they could send someone out for it, thank heavens. A bit later, a fire captain called me back to confirm where I was talking about. My tax dollars, joyfully at work: a few minutes later, the noise stopped!

Well, kind of. The fire captain called back to let me know that the reason for the noise is that that building is testing a new fire alarm system, and apparently the noise will continue today and tomorrow. I said, "It has to go off for that long to test it?" And he said that apparently they are testing that it gets set off in every unit. It restarted again shortly after he called.

So at least we know: it's intentional and short-term. But wow, is it annoying. My poor mother and her headaches.

In happier news, yesterday's mail brought me yarn! Won't these make something pretty?

I placed an order with Yankee Dyer on Friday, and it got here Monday! How impressive is that! (Very.) And it is lovely and soft (this is the Yankee Crush base, which is 70% BFL, 20% silk, and 10% cashmere), and was on sale. Win all the way around.

More to come!

2 comments:

  1. So what's your fondest hope to do with that yarn?

    And I'm sorry about the noise, but glad that at least it has a time when it's going to end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So hopefully all the testing's done now?

    ReplyDelete