Saturday, December 16, 2017

Kickstarter Goodies Revealed, Times Two

This summer, I backed two different Kickstarters; one was for the latest Girl Genius book, and the other was Dave Kellett's Anatomy of Animals. Both arrived this week, strangely enough! So let me show you what I got. (If you could use a reminder of what exactly Kickstarter is, I seem to have written about it here at some length.)

Girl Genius is an online comic I've been reading for years; they post it, free, online a few times a week, but the story is so detailed that reading at the release pace means I forget some of the details of who is that and why is she doing that? It can take them a year to get through a really busy day, so I think that's understandable, but I find the books a good way to catch the continuity up, and then I enjoy re-reading them once in a while. The Foglios use Kickstarter to print the volumes, since that gives them a guaranteed number of buyers, which funds the initial print run; very sensible, in my opinion. This book is volume 16, and I've been in on the last few Kickstarters of theirs.

Of course, I didn't think to take photos when I opened the package, but here is the book (signed bookplate already stuck inside), with the bookmark and a few cards.
The little card in the lower right has a list of the books on its reverse, so I checked off what I have. I'm slowly filling in the gap.
I had put previous stickers on a hanging-file holder I have, so I added the new one. Here it is, one side (which also has other stickers, such as the ones that came with a previous Kickstarter campaign I backed):
And the other:
So there's Girl Genius!

Dave Kellett, on the other hand, is the cartoonist who draws Sheldon, an online comic I love (in a very different way to GG). He started drawing these Anatomy of Animals cartoons once in a while, and when there were enough, did the Kickstarter campaign to make a book of it. When the news first came out, I was interested, but not certain I needed it enough--and then the Arthur* pin was included**, and I was all in.
*Arthur the duck is a character in Sheldon (he first shows up here), and I love him.
**It was a stretch goal, and once he reached that level of pledges, it's in!

The book itself is lovely.
And the design of the signed bookplate so clever.
Example page.
My Arthur pin is already on my bag.
Gandalf Airlines magnet on the fridge.
Finally, a Batpug magnet and pugs pin, which to be honest I have no interest in; anyone want them?
It's nothing against pugs, I'm just not particularly pro-pug, so let me know.

But overall, I'm delighted with the package! Both of them, in fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment