Saturday, January 07, 2017

Lots of Knitting

It's usually safe to assume that I'm knitting, but I haven't talked about it much lately, have I? Well, let me do so! It's a better topic than the snow is, that's for sure.

Tonight, I finished a hat. It's knit flat and seamed, which was a new one on me. I mean, you look at this:
And you don't instantly think hat, do you?

You may not think this looks exactly hat-like, either:
But when put on the head of a human (using facial nonrecognition; I am so high-tech):
Ears. Meow.

(The shirt, by the way, was chosen for today.
)
The hat is for wearing to the Boston Women's March in a few weeks. If you are unfamiliar with these hats, let me direct you to the Pussy Hat Project for more details. I used some Malabrigo I had on hand, color Damask. It came out a little big, but I think it will work. In fact, if the weather is cold enough, I could wear it over another hat!

I also finished the latest pair of purse socks, but haven't taken good pictures of them yet. For now:
That gives you the idea, anyway. Interesting yarn, far more colorful in good light than it appears in average lighting.

But the most exciting knitting I've done recently was blog-secret until Mary Ellen's birthday. I made her an octopus.
She likes purple, so I used a skein of fingering that I had, making for a smaller one than what my brother got. But the pattern is the same one, Cephalohedron, Or as I call it, indiscriminately, squid or octopus. Whatever. More photos:






What's more, I'm going to be making another one sometime soon, since I finished this one in Florida, and yeah, my mother wants one. Who can blame her? If I go through life leaving a trail of knit octopuses*, there are worse things.
*Apparently, strictly speaking, octopi is wrong because it's putting a Greek ending on a Latin word, or vice versa--I can't even be bothered to google it, sorry.

I think that's all I've finished lately, but I did start the next purse sock, of course. Having used cushy but tough Socks That Rock for that last pair, I went for cushy and soft this time, and more color. Crap photo:
As so often happens, the yarn is doing interesting things knit up, and depending on how you look at it, I might be knitting a mostly blue sock:
Or a mostly pink sock.
Fortunately, this doesn't bother me.

1 comment: