Thursday, January 26, 2017

Finally, Sharing the Salsa Recipe

I could give you a long screed about work today--short take, I asked the writer of this report to fix the bibliography, which among many (many, many) other problems was not in alphabetical order, and his "corrected" version was still not completely in alphabetical order--but I will go a different way instead. (Although, honestly, is that so much to ask? Is it an expectation too high? What is wrong with people?)

Ahem. Sorry. Letting go. For now.

A blog that I read put out a call for healthier appetizers to bring to a party in January, which of course made me think of the bell-pepper, no-tomato salsa I have mentioned here many times, but to my surprise, I found that I have never put the full recipe up here. What an oversight! Time to remedy that.

This is a recipe that I was given by a friend; her family got it from other friends, and who knows where it came from before that. Just want to be clear that this isn't my recipe originally, and I'm taking credit for nothing more than sharing its wonders with anyone who will listen. This is, hands down, the healthiest thing that I adore eating.

The only downside to it is that it takes a bit of time and effort to do the chopping. If you have a chopper, something like this, it makes the work easier, as I noted in the past, but it isn't required, if you have the time and hand strength. Take a look at it:

The Salsa

1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 orange pepper
1 purple onion
can of Niblets corn, drained and rinsed
can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 clove of garlic, pressed/chopped
5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
(optional: Scoops or other tortilla chips)

Chop the peppers and onion into pieces about the size of corn kernels (doesn't matter if they're bigger, but it makes a more diverse mouthful if they're small). 
Mix everything together, and refrigerate.
It's best the next day, but still tastes good the day it's made, and two days later (it rarely lasts longer!).
I do drain the excess liquid off the next day, which helps keep it from getting soggy, but that isn't required.
Serve with tortilla chips: the Scoops make it easier to pick up, but any kind will do.

A few notes: 
Any three peppers will do; different colors make a nice effect, but you can use what you have on hand, or can get that looks good.
I was told to use Niblets, but any corn is really fine. Don't use no-salt-added!
I was told to use "Mexican" black beans, but always just get the regular kind. 
And I was told to add a little dried parsley, which I never have. 

And the results (an old photo, but my own):
Color in winter, and a delight to the palate. Win-win!

3 comments:

  1. I can attest to its yumminess. I begged the recipe years ago and have made it many, many (MANY!) times since.

    Sometimes I leave out the red onion. Well, once. I didn't have any at the time.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks and sounds SO delicious! Bookmarking it for future reference!

    ReplyDelete