Sunday, June 03, 2012

The Night Before

I've done a bit today to get ready for the new job tomorrow, but mostly I've been Not Thinking About It, because thinking about it leads to over-thinking it, which generally leads to trouble. Which reminds me, I need to put out a sleeping pill for tonight. My conscious mind may be sadly all too used to starting new jobs, but my subconscious needs to be turned off the night before such things. At least I get to ease into the whole getting up early thing, as I'm to report in at 10 tomorrow (and 8:30 thereafter). I saw this on Facebook this morning:
In pursuit of Not Thinking About It, I've been greatly aided today by Doctor Who. I'm currently brushing up on the modern era, and am nearing the end of the second series now (and I'm a lot closer than I was this morning). Requested third series from the library, check! I still like Christopher Eccleston (the 9th Doctor) a wee bit more than David Tennant (the 10th), so we'll see how I feel when I reach the Matt Smith era. Also, knitting on the Tardis shawl while watching Doctor Who feels sort of circular.

In other news, if you're not a hockey fan, you may have missed the story that Bruins goalie Tim Thomas has decided to take next year off. I always said that goalies are extra crazy, but wow. Apparently he's finding hockey a little frivolous in these crazy times. Two lines from Puck Daddy's coverage of the story struck me:
  • "the irony of forfeiting $3 million dollars in annual salary because you're afraid of an economic meltdown is hilarious"
  • "if there's any consolation for Bruins fans, it's this: if this statement truly reflects his mindset, you shouldn't want him to play next year any more than he does"
Yup. Reports that he moved his family to Colorado this season make me suspect that rather than being in Denver or Boulder, they're somewhere off the grid, with a lot of supplies. I may be doing him wrong, but ... I don't know. His was the story of perseverance, of dedication, of continuing against the odds and then making it, making the NHL, winning awards, winning the Cup, and one would have understood had he chosen to retire at that point. But to take the year off, to stick the team with his cap hit and walk away, seems very selfish, and hockey is such a team sport. Makes me wonder if he damaged that team feeling irrevocably after the shunning of the White House visit, which was after all the antithesis of team-first.

Okay, end tangent! I start the new job tomorrow, tra la. If I have the energy at all after, I'll go to my stitch and bitch, so blogging may or may not happen tomorrow night. Don't read anything into silence, should it occur. Have a good week!

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for starting the new job! Can't wait to hear all about it. (Whenever.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. will be thinking of you tomorrow. so happy for you. lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thomas's latest statement (on Facebook, of course) about deciding to take time off to devote to relationships he's neglected" really reads to me as "I cheated on my wife with everything in a skirt over the past year, and now I really need to fix it..."

    Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete