Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Half-way Through March

The title of this post has nothing to do with the content.

I'm tired. (What else is new?)

It's the best I can do.

Update on last night's dinner: the chicken was indeed much better baked in the oven than it had been on the little grill. However, it was still nothing special: moist, but not especially flavorful. The best part was the pieces of pineapple I put in for the last few minutes (I got a pineapple at Wilson's yesterday, mmm). In short, I will definitely be going back to Dom's for the steak tips. Soon.

As for the hockey game, well, it wasn't the best Bruins game, but they won in the shootout (as Jack likes to say when Tuukka Rask gets the win, "Two Us, two Ks, two points!"), and that will do for now.

I realized after I got into bed last night that I hadn't taken a Unisom as I'd planned, and decided that if I was awake for a while, I would get up for one. However, I slept fine. Weird, really.

In other happiness-related news, I started to re-read The Happiness Project, and was inspired to start work on my own clutter (clutter is one of the first things she tackled). We'll see if that translates into action.

Also, I thought of something else I've done that's made me a little happier. I used to read a website that has little stories about how stupid people are, and it was funny, but honestly reading it left me a little depressed at how stupid people can be. A while ago, I stopped reading it, and starting reading It Made My Day instead. Leaves me with a smile much more often!

**********
I wonder what my word is?

I've noticed that some people have a word they tend to use very frequently. One person uses "whatever" as filler, almost as a comma ("So if we do that, and whatever whatever, I think that will work"); another tends to start sentences with "Which" ("Which he hasn't had it for a while..."). It's the kind of thing that would be easy not to notice, it seems to me, which makes me think I could be doing the same thing without noticing.

So if I do, what's the word?

**********
I would like your opinion on something: if you buy a pair of non-cheap* shoes, work shoes, how long do you expect them to last?

*To me, that means between $50-100 (I'm not sure that I've ever spent more than that on shoes). Your numbers may be different, but the idea is a number that is not insignificant to you.

I bought a pair of Clarks last May, have had them re-heeled twice (remember?), and today noticed a crack across the sole of each shoe (where the foot bends). I don't feel like I've had them all that long that I would expect this level of wear, though I have worn them a lot in that time. Do you think my expectations are unreasonable?

I'm pretty sure I'll buy more anyway. I love the way they look, and they're really comfortable. I just wish they were a little more durable. But again, am I expecting too much?

3 comments:

  1. How often are you wearing those shoes? Daily? I try to alternate my shoes--I've heard they need to dry out or something for a day after being worn all day. But what would make them crack?

    I haven't noticed a word. I mean, you say "hockey" and "yarn" a lot, but not for filler. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have a pair of Birkenstock clogs that I wear every Sunday pretty much, and have for at least ten years. They look brand new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a pair of Trotters that lasted about 5 years until the metal shank broke in the right one. But as Kate says, a lot depends on how often you're wearing them. To go through two pairs of heels in a year means, to me, that these are 5-days a week shoes? Shoes are like people, they don't like going to work every day.

    I purchased two pair (very pricey) and planned for an additional pair every 6 months; they were alternated when I only had two pair and rotated when I had three pair or more.

    ReplyDelete