Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Little of This, A Little of That

The Bruins held on last night to win over the Rangers, and came into tonight's game against the Panthers with that little 2-game winning streak I was hoping for. It amuses me that both Tyler Seguin and Mark Recchi scored, since Recchi, who I believe is the oldest player in the NHL right now*, came into the league in 1988-89, while Seguin was born in 1992. Yet they're playing together quite well. Funny game, hockey.

*He's older than I am! Long may he reign; it will be a dark day for me when there aren't any players in the NHL older than I am.

They're up 1-0 after 2 periods, but not playing well enough for my comfort. We shall see.

**********
I mentioned on Sunday that I ordered a therapy light, to try to counteract the oh-shit-winter-dark-cold-doom-doooooooooommmmm feelings that come over me at this time of year. It actually arrived on Tuesday, much to my surprise*, since the free-super-saver-shipping said it would take 5 to 8 days or so. Anyway, I charged it and set it up, and started using it Wednesday morning. I don't want to overdo it, so I'm using the recommended "dosage" of half-power and 15 minutes**, and will see how it affects me, if at all, before I up anything.

*Not that I'm unhappy about how fast it came. Just, you know, surprised.
**Which fits neatly into my "reading the paper, with breakfast" slot on the schedule

It's early days yet, though I will say I had less trouble getting up this morning than I have had recently. Could be a coincidence, of course.

**********
Most days, there are two women working together in the cube next to mine. I don't know who they are, or even what department they're in, but by the very nature of working together, they are talking much of the time. It can be a little annoying, though I understand these things happen in office environments, and after all I love my MP3 player for this reason among others.

Still. A few things that cross my mind:
  • Making an effort to talk quietly is appreciated, but one person shushing the other is surprisingly even more distracting than speaking loudly. Ssssshhhh!
  • Having your cell phone on at work is not my favorite thing. Not answering it promptly is just rude. Particularly when your subsequent conversations do not sound critical ("Have you looked in the closet?"), and yes I am judging your conversation. I wouldn't if I couldn't hear it, hint hint.
  • Putting your phone on vibrate is one of those things that seems like it's being considerate, but you know, I can hear it going bzzzz-bzzzz on the desk. Over and over.
  • If that was your lunch you were eating at 2:30 one afternoon, while working, then I sympathize. But your talking with your mouth full is something I could do without hearing (MP3 to the rescue again), and the strong odor of vinegar drifting into my desk area had me thinking longingly of nose plugs.
Not very professional, I think.

**********
My mother arrives 4 weeks from tomorrow for Christmas. Wow! As a kid, it seemed that the time from Halloween to Thanksgiving to Christmas was endless, but not these days. Zoom! Whoosh!

1 comment:

  1. Mark Recchi was (I think) a Flyer at one point (heh, heh). But I guess when you've been playing that long you play for a number of teams.

    ITA about the vibrate thing for phones. The upstairs neighbors must set theirs on the floor to charge or something, and when it just keeps going, I can't figure out why I know it's ringing and they DON'T!

    Oooh, I hope that light box is working for you. Nice.

    ReplyDelete