Thursday, July 12, 2007

Cuke Envy

It's not a pretty sight.

I am a grown woman, little though I generally act it, and I should not feel that the achievements of others reflect on me in the slightest. If someone else can do something better than I can, I should accept that, try to learn from it, and move on.

There are things I do well, but I can't be the best at everything. Challenging myself by trying new things is good for me, and I can't expect to be the best or even good at everything right away.

Riiiight. The thing is, if I was growing cucumbers, and someone else was growing cucumbers, and theirs were bigger, better, healthier, ready sooner, or what have you, I think I could be mature about it, at least in public. But when we're growing them in the same garden, and my plants are being eaten down to stumps by the mystery critter, while the plants of other people are blithely thriving away, apparently un-nibbled, I must say that bitter is the word for my feelings. Why, I ask you, why?

Because I'm not trying to say that without the interference of the critter, any of my cuke plants would look like this one, which you will notice if you look closely is filling out a tomato trellis nicely:


Nor that I would have a cuke this size yet:


since the largest one I have is about the size of a paper clip:


See it, to the left of the open flower? I know, it doesn't exactly leap to the eye, does it? I may not have the greenest thumb, it's true. In my defense, I would like to mention that my plot is on the shady side of the garden, and this other, happy plant is on the sunny side.

Still, were it not for the critter I would only be saying "wow, look at that plant" in mild wonder, instead of "hey, how come their plant didn't get eaten at all?" in moderate bitterness. I was on the shady side last year, too, and I had some success. I ate lots of cucumbers, and what's more successful than that? This year, I only have a couple of plants left; most of the original dozen are like this:


I have green pepper envy, too. You may recall that the half dozen pepper plants were mowed down before they even produced a pea-sized pepper bud. (Oh, ouch, I used the word "pea", let's not go there...) Well, the gardeners above are doing well with those, too. The plant looks healthy:


And then there are these:


So I'm depressing myself again! Shall we take the talk outside the garden? There are other growing things! For example, does anyone else get sick of those watered-down-pale-orange lilies? Why do so many people who plant them, plant so many of them? I really like the red ones:


Why don't more people plant these? I also like this little one, which is probably technically a weed but that doesn't bother me:


I like the hint of color around the edges. Now, if you were naming this next one, what would you call it? I'm leaning toward golden buttons, but I'm feeling literal. You can do better than that, can't you?


What about blue flowers with bumblebees? Does that tickle anyone's fancy?


Or this red sucker-sword?


Finally, what about this tree? It's the only one like it we see on our walks at work, and the scalloped-edged leaves and fuzzy ... what would you call them? fronds? ... are really unusual, at least compared to its neighbors. Anyone seen anything like it?




Thus endeth the photo tour for the day. Go forth, and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Girl, you need a little expansion in your gardening toolkit. ;o)

    First, get yourself some pepper-spray (not the kind for muggers; this kind). Next, go get some fertilizer. Fish emulsion is really good, as are most other organic/all natural fertilizers. If you're not up for that, then just go get some all-purpose, balanced fertilizer, and apply it according to package directions.

    The rodents are avoiding the other plants for a reason--so it's time to give them a reason to stay away from yours!

    And now, I'll end the rant and move on to other topics. ;o)

    People don't plant more red/other colored daylilies because they're expensive. The orange ones are wild all over; they're called Ditch Lilies in a lot of places. The non-orange Daylilies are pretty recent introductions, and have just been plain more expensive. Many gardeners are just plain thrifty, so they'll go dig some up from a roadside or vacant lot instead of paying $5+ per corm for a fancy variety. (Well, except the daylily-crazy gardeners, who collect rare daylilies like I collect stash.)

    You'll have to take another photo of the "probably a weed" flower once it opens fully. It looks like it's related to Nigella or Queen Anne's Lace, but it's hard to tell right now. I'm really curious to know what it is.

    The yellow flowers are Tansy, a.k.a. Bitter Buttons. Serious liver tonic, and horses love 'em. They're uber-common up here near Canada, and very pretty in a huge, brassy kind of way. It's impressive to see them covering a mile of railroad embankment, in full bloom in July.

    The blue ones are Lacecap Hydrangea, and some of the prettiest I've seen. I love the way the blue sets off the bee's rusty fuzziness.

    The red sucker sword has leaves that remind me of a Sumac tree, but I can't be sure.

    And I have No Idea about the last tree. Very interesting blooms . . . you might want to try posting a photo at the "Name That Plant" forum over at www.GardenWeb.com. I learned a great deal of what I know about gardening over at GardenWeb.

    Whew . . . that's an entire blog post in itself . . . lol I'll try to be shorter-winded next time. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, as another commenter, I'm all for informative comments like yours, Annalea. [g] Most interesting!

    Although until I went and looked up the difference, I had a nasty shock at the mention of horses eating Tansy. Then I checked Wikipedia and found that Tansy is different from Tansy Ragwort. Whew! The latter is poisonous to horses (and cows, although apparently not sheep, strangely enough). Out here in Oregon, if you find Tansy Ragwort on your property, you're supposed to eradicate it, which is hard to do. The suckers have a taproot that goes to China.

    Tansy itself, though, can also be poisonous in large quantities for humans - its oil has a substance that's also found in absinthe. Although it was used as an herbal remedy and a flavoring; one presumes in small quantities. :)

    I did know that it makes a nice yellow if you're into natural dyeing! And another use that might come in handy? Quote from the Wiki article:
    "Tansy is also used as a companion plant, especially with cucurbits like cucumbers and squash... It is thought to repel cucumber beetles, japanese beetles, squash bugs, and some kinds of flying insects, among others." Interesting; I've heard of using marigolds like that, but not Tansy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I learned a lot from your comments tonight!

    I read about Tansy plants in Agatha Christie and Dorothy Sayers books (and the occasional Harlequin Regency Romance) but didn't make the connection until I read Annalea's post. Thanks, all!

    BTW...DH cooked up one of my garden gadzukes for dinner veggies and ATE IT ALL BY HIMSELF! I got leftover green beans which, although I do like them, those were MY zukes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Annalea is right about the sucker-sword being a sumac.

    The following website shows a plant very similar to the one you've photographed. I remember these growing all around my town when I was growing up (Windsor Locks, CT).

    http://www.theepicentre.com/Spices/sumac.html

    ReplyDelete