Our dishwasher died the other day: the cycle ran much shorter than it should have, there was water still in the bottom, and while it did drain when we told it to, it then would not start a new cycle. From Mom's records, it was installed in 2009 and expected to last 10-15 years, so it's right on schedule.
HOWEVER.
Can we really expect the service people to carry a new dishwasher up five flights of stairs? Probably not, right? I mean, it seems unlikely to me. Which takes this right from annoyance into disaster, within the class of first-world problems.
The whole well-documented elevator situation has been awful, but in a straightforward way, if you follow me. The annoyance has been awful from day one, but it hasn't gotten harder to carry everything up and down. The increasing length of time has sucked, but the difficulty of each individual trip has been the same. The thing is, it requires a lot of coping and planning to handle things that used to require next to none.
And now we add the fun of hand-washing every dish for a month. I don't know what ancient spirit I pissed off, but I'm sorry already.
Sigh. Anyway. We are soliciting opinions on brands of dishwashers, either ones you love or ones you've hated, and where to get them. So far, some of the advice is contradictory, but I welcome your take on it just the same.
Oh wow, you have had such a run of home difficulties lately! We have a Bosch and I love it, no issues.
ReplyDeleteOh, hell. I'm sorry. BUT--check with the appliance store before you give up. Transporting a dishwasher five flights up might not be as big a deterrent as you think.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Nicole--we have a Bosch at our lakehouse and it's been great. My home dishwasher is a Frigidaire (upscale model, I forget the name of the series), and while it works really well, I detest Frigidaire. Their customer care is nonexistent. We were in a bind and had to buy one during the holidays, and that one was in stock and in our price range.
Oh NOOOOO! As first world problems go, those are NOT insignificant! We have gone through three dishwashers since we moved into this house 27 years ago, and we now have a Miele - expensive, but has lasted longer than the other two put together and we love it. I hope some enterprising workmen will be willing to carry one up for a tip.
ReplyDeleteArggggh! Expletives are fully justified, what with the elevator and the dishwasher.
ReplyDeleteIn June 2025 we bought a new dishwasher because the old one (installed in 2011), if it had legs, would have been on the last of them. We are satisfied with our LG brand model LDFN4542S which we bought from Lowe's. It has this cool thin third rack near the roof of the machine. It also shows how much time is left until it's done. We didn't have any of those things on the previous one.
Be aware that all of the LG appliances we have bought in the past 5 years play annoyingly jaunty tunes when the cycle is done. The most annoying one by far is the microwave. It's actually pretty good for the washer and dryer because they are further away and the tune is less jaunty.
I second those who say that the appliance store might be willing to deliver up all those stairs. Worth asking.
OH NO! I mean, I know we CAN live without a dishwasher, but it's NOT FUN. We have a Maytag dishwasher that was installed in our house when we moved in 2017 and have done exactly zero maintenance on it, so that seems pretty good.
ReplyDeleteLast night I had to sleep on the couch because the dog had GI issues and I wanted to be able to take her out if she had another emergency, then the cat vomited all over our living room this morning, and then the electricity went out. I'm starting to think I have my own evil spirit, if it makes you feel better in a misery loves company sort of way.
Misery sympathizes with misery, certainly!
DeleteMine was draining a little bit but then throwing an error code and stopping.
ReplyDeleteSo here's what the repair guy did yesterday: he put a coated wire down the outtake thingamagummy that's at the back of the sink, working it up and down around in a circle around the center of the thing after lifting its cover off. A mini-snaking. Then he turned the machine on and there was a BURST! of particle-filled water, then gradually just (surely soapy from the load) water. Problem solved, machine works fine now. That was well worth the $70 he charged me.
I so hope yours works out okay.
Just checked: we bought our Bosch dishwasher in April 2015.
Delete